From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
There was a recent thread where audio latency was being discussed
regarding headphone mixes. I'm one of those who can't deal with the
"pull" of any kind of latency. Anything in excess of 2 ms and I hear
some wierdness like phasey-ness or it feels like I'm pulling the track
along. So I use my mixer to monitor off of. The problem is dealing with
more than two people at a time and compromising for each musician.

What I'd like to accomplish is to have at a minimum four independent
stereo headphone mixes. I understand that some sound cards allow for
this. My Frontier Dakota only gives me 1 stereo headphone mix via it's
internal mixer.

I need 16 channels of ADAT I/O to go with my two Frontier Tango
converters. I think that I heard the RME has monitor mixing
capabilities. Anyone use one and know how many headphone mixes I can
get without using and SONAR Input Echo and creating headphone busses?

--
Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette

http://www.gatortraks.com/forum
http://www.gatortraks.com
From: Here In Oregon on
You need a headphone amplifier. I recommend RANE HC6.

Whatever you do don't let Ted talk you into the Behringer. It sounds like a
freight train in each channel and I checked out three of them and those
Yamaha NS10's are ear killers for sure and require a whole roll of toilet
paper when using them just to filter out all of the noise coming from them
as well.

From: Tom B on
The RME stuff only has one physical headphone out if that's what you mean.

But the HDSP software mixer will let you make all the mixes you want.

As an Ex.

The screen will show let' say 24 tracks in a line.

1 - --------------------------------------------24 Those would be 3 ADAT
pipes ( 3x8 )

Now let's say you have 8 of those playing back and just to explain it more
easily..... on the bottom of each lane you see it says Phones. That's your
single line out. So we will say all 24 tracks are going to the Phones. and
you can adjust each track level.

Now let's say you you want another mix. You click where it says Phones and a
choice pops up showing all your ADAT ports. so let's say you pick ADAT3 1-2
and put a check nect to it.

Now all the 1 ------------- 24 change go to ADAT port 3 line 1-2. Your
Phones mix is still intact.

Now you can build a mix for ADAT3 1-2. Whatever that is connected to would
then supply your headphones.

3-4 and build another mix....

So now you have 3 mixes going on. One comes out the hardware and the other
two go to whatever your ADAT3 pipe is connected to so you would then need
two headphone outs on something.

If that doesn't make sense, I think the manual is in the zip file for the
driver and I believe there are some graphics in it.

The HDSP mixer does a lot more than that but I think that's what you are
asking.

From: Here In Oregon on
"Tom B" wrote in message:
>> But the HDSP software mixer will let you make all the mixes you want.

I have the 9652 with daughter card and the 9632 and what you just said is
the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.

However if I was Dave and wanted to meet "jesus_ on_ the_ boulevard" I would
buy this.

A Headphone Amp with Power to Spare!
The Rane HC 6 is one of the most indispensable products for your studio or
live sound gig! Featuring six stereo headphone amplifiers, the HC 6 performs
all the headphone-related tasks you need, plus a few more.

The HC 6 provides master stereo inputs which can be used to drive any or all
of the six stereo headphone amplifiers. A mono switch is provided on the
front panel to drive both channels of all six amplifiers from a common mono
source. The HC 6 includes six individual unbalanced stereo inputs to drive
any individual amplifier from a separate stereo source. These inputs can be
converted to mono balanced inputs through internal jumpers if required.
Outputs for all of the HC 6's six channels are provided on both the front
panel and the rear panel so that headphones may be connected on either side
based on the requirements of a given installation. Two pairs of headphones
may be driven from each channel, one pair connected to the front and one to
the rear.

The HC 6 is capable of delivering up to 450 milliwatts into headphones with
rated impedances between 32-600 ohms. The precise amount of power depends on
the exact impedance of the headphone in use and the number of headphones
connected to the unit. Under most conditions, the HC 6 produces sound
pressure levels in excess of 120 dB. This level is more than adequate for
most applications.

So add it up - a 6-channel headphone amplifier capable of driving most
headphones to levels in excess of 120 dB! Master input level and stereo/mono
control, plus independent channel volume controls.

From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
Tom B wrote:
> The RME stuff only has one physical headphone out if that's what you mean.
>
> But the HDSP software mixer will let you make all the mixes you want.
>
> As an Ex.
>
> The screen will show let' say 24 tracks in a line.
>
> 1 - --------------------------------------------24 Those would be 3 ADAT
> pipes ( 3x8 )
>
> Now let's say you have 8 of those playing back and just to explain it
> more easily..... on the bottom of each lane you see it says Phones.
> That's your single line out. So we will say all 24 tracks are going to
> the Phones. and you can adjust each track level.
>
> Now let's say you you want another mix. You click where it says Phones
> and a choice pops up showing all your ADAT ports. so let's say you pick
> ADAT3 1-2 and put a check nect to it.
>
> Now all the 1 ------------- 24 change go to ADAT port 3 line 1-2. Your
> Phones mix is still intact.
>
> Now you can build a mix for ADAT3 1-2. Whatever that is connected to
> would then supply your headphones.

> ADAT3 3-4 and build another mix....
>
> So now you have 3 mixes going on. One comes out the hardware and the
> other two go to whatever your ADAT3 pipe is connected to so you would
> then need two headphone outs on something.
>
> If that doesn't make sense, I think the manual is in the zip file for
> the driver and I believe there are some graphics in it.
>
> The HDSP mixer does a lot more than that but I think that's what you are
> asking.

Nah, I'm not talking about a headphone out. Running out mixes through
my Tangos would be fine. They're full duplex so I would have 14 mono
outputs to use for headphones if I reserve a pair for the control room
speakers.

So if I'm understanding you, my 16 inputs would be assignable to as many
output mixes as I have I/O for. So I could have one mix going to Tango
1-2, another mix to Tango 3-4, another to Tango 5-6 and finally another
to Tango 7-8. That's all I'm trying to do.

Then I can route those four mixes to my headphone mixers. I've got a
Behringer that gives me 4 independent outs with a "more me" using an
auxilary input on the front. I also have a Furman that will give me
another separate mix that can be shared by the less "mix stingy" types.