From: ludim on
Hi I need to create a formula/sql that brings the previous record forward.

I have a phone number which needs to be populated into the next record where
the family member is the same.

I did this in an IF statement in excel. but in Access I could not make it
look up the previous continues record to update the next record.

=IF(A3=B3,C3,IF(AND(B3=3,A3-A4=-1),C2,""))

Can anyone help.
From: Jeff Boyce on
While that may have been necessary in Excel, it is neither necessary nor
desirable in a well-normalized relational database (e.g., Access).

If "normalization" and "relational" are unfamiliar, plan on spending some
time coming up to speed on these terms if you want to use Access for
anything other than a simple Excel replacement.

If you don't feed Access well-normalized data, you and Access will both work
overtime to overcome the 'sheet data. You can pay now (learn what Access is
optimized to work with) or pay later (keep coming up with work-arounds).

Good luck!

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"ludim" <ludim(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I need to create a formula/sql that brings the previous record forward.
>
> I have a phone number which needs to be populated into the next record
> where
> the family member is the same.
>
> I did this in an IF statement in excel. but in Access I could not make it
> look up the previous continues record to update the next record.
>
> =IF(A3=B3,C3,IF(AND(B3=3,A3-A4=-1),C2,""))
>
> Can anyone help.

Pages: 1
Prev: SQL to export query into table
Next: Date Query