From: Ralph Malph on
I am developing a client application. When this program is run I want to
prevent ALL users from exiting the program or from being able to do anything
on the PC except use the program. They should not be able to exit it, ALT-TAB
away from it, minimize it, shutdown the PC, start another program or in
anyway make any kind of use of the PC except that which the program allows.
CTRL-ALT-DEL must also be disabled. When I do want to exit the program I want
it to ask for a password. With out the password, ONLY the program will be
accessible to the user and they can't shut it down.

Thanks for the help,

Ralph Malph
From: Tom on
Any thought on how you will handle the BIG RED SWITCH version of
CTRL-ALT-DEL aka pulling the plug out of the wall due to pesky software or
holding the power button for 5 sec to force the MoBo to dump outside of
software control ;)

First off, strip the OS down and lock it down with permissions. Consider
running an embedded version of the OS where you have more control.
Disabling C-A-D: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226
Disable Alt-Tab: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1157034&page=1
might get you started

Start googling for each feature you want to prevent ...

Tom

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 2/4/2010 4:36 PM, Ralph Malph wrote:
> I am developing a client application. When this program is run I want to
> prevent ALL users from exiting the program or from being able to do anything
> on the PC except use the program. They should not be able to exit it, ALT-TAB
> away from it, minimize it, shutdown the PC, start another program or in
> anyway make any kind of use of the PC except that which the program allows.
> CTRL-ALT-DEL must also be disabled. When I do want to exit the program I want
> it to ask for a password. With out the password, ONLY the program will be
> accessible to the user and they can't shut it down.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Ralph Malph

I've not needed to develop one of these before, but the term to google
is "kiosk mode application".

--
Mike
From: Ralph Malph on
Thanks Mike and Tom for the advice. I already have version 1 of my program on
a system so locked down I have to use remote control to log in as admin to do
anything on it. I was hoping to simplify the process. We just started using a
"Secure Browser" for our students online testing. (I work in higher
education) Once they start it up they can do nothing to get out of it without
a password. We use it to keep them from copying the test via cut and paste or
looking up answer on the internet etc. While they could use the power button
to shut down the PC we can set it up to auto launch the browser if we need.

Again thanks for the suggestions and for the Google keyword.

Ralph Malph

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Ralph,

Giving solutions for that helps some to use it in a malicious way.
(You probably have never seen those webpages which never closes)

Cor