From: daviddschool on
I had a power surge about 3 weeks ago - lost a drive, now making
ticking noises. I had another two drive that seem to work
sporadically now. So, I thought it might have been my power supply.
Bought a tester and found out that all seems well. Next, I bought a
new hard drive and found that it was also acting up - making noises
like whirring up and down (like the other drives I thought were
dead). So I am starting to wonder if it is my mobo - but how can I
test this out?
I am using a dual boot - Win XP and Win 7 - both drives work and don't
work. Up and down. Right now my Win7 is working, but XP is not.
Maybe both drives are on their last legs or maybe it is just the MOBO
causing the issues - but now with a new drive, it is making the same
noises, so that tells me that it is something other than the drives --
I don't want to end up buying a new MOBO and find out it is something
else again!
Any suggestions?
Also, all my info is backed, so I am ok with playing at this point,
but I don't have another computer here to test this out on.
From: Sjouke Burry on
daviddschool wrote:
> I had a power surge about 3 weeks ago - lost a drive, now making
> ticking noises. I had another two drive that seem to work
> sporadically now. So, I thought it might have been my power supply.
> Bought a tester and found out that all seems well. Next, I bought a
> new hard drive and found that it was also acting up - making noises
> like whirring up and down (like the other drives I thought were
> dead). So I am starting to wonder if it is my mobo - but how can I
> test this out?
> I am using a dual boot - Win XP and Win 7 - both drives work and don't
> work. Up and down. Right now my Win7 is working, but XP is not.
> Maybe both drives are on their last legs or maybe it is just the MOBO
> causing the issues - but now with a new drive, it is making the same
> noises, so that tells me that it is something other than the drives --
> I don't want to end up buying a new MOBO and find out it is something
> else again!
> Any suggestions?
> Also, all my info is backed, so I am ok with playing at this point,
> but I don't have another computer here to test this out on.
Check for sagging 12V on the disks, when they draw maximum current.
Check for ripple voltage on the supply.
Your descriptions suggests that the surge current is to low
and the disk(s) repeatedly re-try to initialise.
From: spodosaurus on
On 3/05/2010 7:02 AM, daviddschool wrote:
> I had a power surge about 3 weeks ago - lost a drive, now making
> ticking noises. I had another two drive that seem to work
> sporadically now. So, I thought it might have been my power supply.
> Bought a tester and found out that all seems well.

Those testers are pretty worthless. Use a multimeter.

> Next, I bought a
> new hard drive and found that it was also acting up - making noises
> like whirring up and down (like the other drives I thought were
> dead). So I am starting to wonder if it is my mobo - but how can I
> test this out?

Replace the power supply first, it's what powers the drives - but if the
spike was enough to fry a drive I'd treat everything as suspect -
motherboard, cards, everything - and don't put any more new hardware in
with a suspect PSU!

> I am using a dual boot - Win XP and Win 7 - both drives work and don't
> work. Up and down. Right now my Win7 is working, but XP is not.
> Maybe both drives are on their last legs or maybe it is just the MOBO
> causing the issues - but now with a new drive, it is making the same
> noises, so that tells me that it is something other than the drives --

Probably, but like I said, those little testers are worthless. I'd bet
it's AT LEAST the PSU.

> I don't want to end up buying a new MOBO and find out it is something
> else again!
> Any suggestions?

PSU

> Also, all my info is backed, so I am ok with playing at this point,
> but I don't have another computer here to test this out on.

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
From: daviddschool on

> > I don't want to end up buying a new MOBO and find out it is something
> > else again!
> > Any suggestions?
>
> PSU

Ok, I was thinking that alright I guess I will replace the PSU. I
don't have any issue with the fan or anything like that, just to let
you know, they all run. I hope I didn't damage the new HD I just
bought - I was trying to format it and I heard the up and down noise
and turned it off.

From: spodosaurus on
On 3/05/2010 7:41 AM, daviddschool wrote:

>>> I don't want to end up buying a new MOBO and find out it is something
>>> else again!
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> PSU
>
> Ok, I was thinking that alright I guess I will replace the PSU. I
> don't have any issue with the fan or anything like that, just to let
> you know, they all run. I hope I didn't damage the new HD I just
> bought - I was trying to format it and I heard the up and down noise
> and turned it off.

Put a new PSU in, disconnect all drives from the motehrboard and don't
attach power to them yet. Pull all PCI/e cards except video card. Try
and power up and see if it'll POST successfully. Then run memtest (or
similar) and see if the motherboard and RAM are still playing nicely
together. Then connect a hard drive and run the manufacturer's
diagnostics on it. Step by step :)