From: Richard K on
SBS2008
Remote from Win 7 Pro and XP Pro clients

I am having an issue with getting RWW to work in the SBS 2008 environment.
Basically I can connect to the server via \remote from a off-site location
but when I try and "Connect to a Computer" I get the following message.

"The wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection settings. Make sure
that the client version of the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.0 or later is
installed on this computer."

This also includes when I try and connect to the SBS 2008 server itself. At
first I thought when this didn't' work with any of the XP Pro computers in
the network that I was missing the necessary software on their machines so I
made sure they were updated. When this happened that I could not connect to
the SBS 2008 server itself that tells me there is something else wrong here.
My next step was to make sure I have the necessary ports open on the router
to get me to the server (25, 443, 987, 3189, 4125). They are all open and
pointed correctly to the server. I can successfully 3389 into the server
directly.

I know my remote computer (Win 7 Pro) is not the problem because it can
easily connect to other SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 networks. There is something
not right and I'm not sure what to look for next. My instincts tell me it's
the router and that it's not directing traffic but the logs don't indicate
any denies going on. Is there something/service that may not be
running/listening to 4125 on the SBS 2008 server?

I am at a loss on this one.

Thanks for any help.

-Richard

From: Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] on
4125 is not used with SBS 2008
What is the OS of the workstations on the lan that you are trying to connect to?

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

From: Susan Bradley on
The only port you need with RWW is 443

Did you enable remote access inside the console on the computer tab?

From: Richard K on
OK, new to me about 4125 coming from an SBS 2003 world. Glad to know I only
need 443 now.

Windows SBS Console/Network/Computers tab... when I look at the properties
of the XP Pro workstation and specifically my user name the Remote Access"
is set to "YES". When I look at the SBS 2008 server I don't have User
Access as one of the properties, just General and Updates.

My account is also a Network Administrator so I should default have access
to all computers.