From: Bateman28 on
Hi

I have greated a query that sums up alot of different fields into numbers,
the only problem is the numbers always return as a negative! How do I need to
wright the expressions so that the figures return a positive number and not a
negative.

Example: I get (-214) when it should be (214)

Any help would be great

From: RonaldoOneNil on
Abs(-214)

or

-214 *-1

From: Bateman28 on
I have tried both types and i get the same error.

Error circular reference caused by alias " Field Name " in Query Definitions
select list.

The query has selected files that i can't change as they pick up specific
files in a specific format that i need.....

anymore help would be appreciated

From: John Spencer on
Post the SQL View of your query.

Try changing the alias of "Field Name" in the query.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 04:47:01 -0700, Bateman28
<Bateman28(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have tried both types and i get the same error.

Correct the error in your query. If you would like help doing so please post
the SQL view of the query - we can't see it from here.

>Error circular reference caused by alias " Field Name " in Query Definitions
>select list.

If you're trying to define [Field Name] on the basis of [Field Name] you'll
get this error; e.g.

[Field Name]: Abs([Field Name])

can't work. Try

[Corrected field name]: Abs([Field name])

or some *other* name.

>The query has selected files that i can't change as they pick up specific
>files in a specific format that i need.....

You'll need to explain that statement. Do you mean "fields" instead of
"files"? What does the format have to do with anything?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]