From: John Grigsby on
Here's another fun problem that just cropped up yesterday... any help would
be appreciated.

On a laptop running Windows XP Professional with SP2 installed, the boot up
sequence takes far longer than it should (about 2 minutes). When I try to log
in, no matter what username I use (or even Administrator), it gives me the
same message, "Unable to log you in because the netlogon service is not
running on this machine."

I thought the problem might be that the machine wasn't connected to our
local network, so I connected it and got the same message.

Instead of going in as a member of the network, I tried to log on with a
local account and got the message, "The system cannot log you on now because
the domain MASGC-NB05 is not available." MASGC-NB05 is the "name" of the
computer. The same happens when I try to log on as Administrator.

Microsoft's web site says to try and log on later, but this has been
happening for five days now!

I am also getting strange error messages during start up and shut down, such
as, "The instruction at "0x00401ffa" referenced memory at "0x00000000." The
memory could not be "read."

I tried booting in safe mode, but the problem persists. I have checked the
BIOS and everything seems to be working.

When I put the Windows disk in the drive and booted the system from the
disk, if I tell it to repair or install Windows, the system reports that no
mass storage device is present.

Now if there is no hard disk present, how is the system getting so far as to
the logon process?

Please help! Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. I would like
to avoid a clean install if possible, but if there is no other option, I may
have to go that route.
From: Mark L. Ferguson on
It all points to hard drive corruption. Boot to CD, enter the recovery
console prompt (setup/press 'r' for repair prompt) Run CHKDSK /F and then
test the system. If entry to recovery console fails, it's definately the
disk. You might get some info out of chkdsk from the GUI interface in
windows. Rightclick a drive icon in my computer, properties, tools tab,
'error checking'.
--
Was this post helpful to you? Voting helps others who use the web interface.
Mark L. Ferguson

From: John Grigsby on
Not what I wanted to hear, but it seems that you're spot-on. I press "R" and
it tells me that no hard disk is present. Thanks.

From: John John on
Sounds to me like you need to load SATA/RAID drivers by using the F6 key
and a floppy diskette. The setup program or Recovery Console cannot see
the disk if it does'nt have the drivers for the controller.

John