From: Jaley Martin Jaley on
We have a small lab that we recently expanded to seven computers and we need
to design and layout our network across a two-room facility. In the main
room, their are five computers, and one printer is shared them. Our printer
is connected directly to a network hub. We have another room with two
computers that are specialized systems that control lab tools. We often each
work from our own computers and use a remote desktop session on the
specialized lab computers to manipulate experiments in the lab.

What would be the best network layout for our situation? Would you use a
star topology or a ring? Can you please explain to me the best way to do this?
From: Richard G. Harper on
What you probably should do is do your own homework.

Star/Ring topology? They're seriously still teaching that stuff?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
In case of small networks using Windows there are basic two layout.
1. Using peer-to-peer Network.
2. Using a network around a Server (Like Windows 2008).
Geographical placing of the computers is not relevant to the topology
per-se.
With today Wireless and internet, you can use the above even if the
computers are spread all over the world.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).