From: Chad Harris on
My friend has a couple printers--a new Epson 800 All in One and an older
one. He has an I Mac and an Acer net book. The net book has Windows
Starter. He should be able to use Bonjour on the Mac for Windows (I
understand this is a MSFT newsgroup) to set up his network.

He is not using a router. Windows Starter ( a good question is why)
apparently doesn't have homegroup functionality. I also know homegroup when
you have it won't work with a Vista or XP box .

I tried to help him network his printer using the I Mac as an access point
and installing and configuring (simple wizard) Bonjour for Windows on his
Win 7 Starter netbook. I came up short, and we tried setting up the printer
both wirelessly and USB. In my experience a wireless printer setup can be
more fragile over the long hall than a USB setup (you may have to reinstall
the driver to get scanning functionlality).

I ran the Bonjour wizard successfully. There is a home group configuration
on Starter, but it must be to use with another computer that is one of the
other versions that has actual homegroup functionality. There is no actual
sharing that will come up on Starter that I can see.

I believe that if he had a router, I could get his wireless printer running.
We know that if he upgraded to one of the other versions of Win 7 he could
easily network the printer.

Win 7 starter is recognizing his Epson printer, but the Homegroup dialogue
box on it isn'r recognizing his Mac and I'm sure it's not been designed to
do that.

He gets an unhelpful message on the windows box that he does not have "
fullaccess" (it doesn't say permissions to the printer Just in case this
obliquely was referring to permissions I used the security tab of the
printer to gain full permissions for users on the printer.

I can get print jobs in the que but no printing. My friend believes this is
because he doesn't have an *LPR port *available. I think he could get a
default Virtual USB port if he had a router.

Windows 7 Ultimate will recognize my printers the second I setup Win 7, but
this is probably because it has Homegroup functionality. The only reason I
have to install my HP driver for Win 7 is that while it will print from
either of my printers out of the box, it won't scan without the HP Win 7
driver (or I've made the Vista HP driver work on Win 7 for the last two
years before HP finally released Win 7 drivers). The port that is set up
for me out of the box is Virtual USB for both printers even though one is
wirelessly configured and that works.

Can anyone shed some light on whether the router would get the job done
without his upgrading to one of the other versions of Win 7 besides Starter
that has homegroup functionality?

TIA,

CH

From: Chad Harris on
I meant to add that when he setup the Printer wirelessly on the Mac, I jmade
sure to have him type the same IP address that printer port configuration
dialogue box shows @ printer properties into the Epson printer's wireless
setup the way I do on my wireless printer to network it.

My question is will getting a router without having a Windows 7 version
other than starter that has homegroup functionality (printer sharing) help
us at all or are we required to upgrade Win 7 so that he can get his printer
networked and working?

TIA,

CH

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
If he does not use a Router then he does Not have a Local Network (LAN).
Regardless of every thing else, it is highly dangerous to do so. It means
that his so called Networked computers is the Internet at large and it is
Highly Not secured.
First step he need to get a Router and establish Local network LAN.

Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
Firewall instructions.
Win 7 -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Sharing between PC and Mac -
http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-resources/mac-pc-file-share.asp
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).