From: Paul on
In article <nQCPf.17160$Eu4.10372(a)fe08.news.easynews.com>, no(a)spam.invalid
(d2431) wrote:

> Thank you, Paul,
>
> Do you think BOTH PCs will work (no error message) by swapping the cpu
> from different pcs? ?The motherboard is made by Compaq and I do not
> know how to find the model? ?The bios is already updated to v.109 (
> 686o1 rom) and still gives the error message. ?Can you help me to get
> rid of this? ?Any info very much appreciated.

Remember that the BIOS is responding to the CPU used. The
support inside the BIOS file, determines the response you
will get.

You have two computers. Do they use the same BIOS ? If they
do, then moving the processor that has microcode "4" to the
other computer, should cause the microcode version to again
be "4" (or greater, depending on whether the Microsoft
microcode loader is present in the OS).

But if we are talking about different computers, the microcode
is contained in the BIOS. The computer that gets the "4",
has version "4" microcode in its BIOS file. It is possible
that moving the processor from one computer to the other,
will still give you a "0", if the Compaq BIOS has no microcode
for that family of processor.

I did make a slight bit of progress with the Compaq BIOS.
I downloaded SP23361.EXE from HP. Executing it, it requests a
floppy. The SP23361.EXE extracts files and writes them to
the floppy. On the floppy is "ROMPAQ.EXE". In Google,
I found the recipe "rompaq /D OCTAPU10.109 output.bin".
That takes the OCTAPU10 input file, and decompresses it
to output.bin. The output.bin file is 524288 bytes, which
is 512KB and would be one of the standard sizes for a BIOS
file.

I opened the output.bin with a hex editor, and unfortunately,
the BIOS appears to be proprietary, and is not an Award/AMI/Phoenix.
There is boot block code at the end of the file, in roughly
the same place as a standard BIOS, but the "branding" inside
the file only mentions Compaq.

Whether the CTMC program can add microcode to the BIOS,
really depends on whether the Intel specified BIOS hook
has been coded in the BIOS. My experience is, an Award BIOS
has the hook code, and AMI doesn't. At least CTMC complains
if I try to use CTMC on an AMI BIOS. Now, what are the
odds that Compaq's proprietary BIOS implements the Intel
BIOS hook, and does it the same way as Award ? Probably
pretty slim odds.

So, you can Google for CTMC... CTMC won't hurt anything, so
should be safe to experiment with. You need a donor BIOS to
get a 2KB microcode file from, and the microcode has to be
for the exact family code of the processor you are working with.
The Intel identification utility can probably give you the
family code of your existing processor. Then you need to
find an Award BIOS from the right "era", to find the microcode
in question and extract it. Have fun :-)

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/msg/4441ec476f864e9b?dmode=source

Paul
From: d2431 on
Parul, thank you very much for your time and help.

Is that possible for you to list step by step how to fix this? I know
I might ask for too much, but as you know I know little about
'programming'. I believe following the right procedures I can fix
it. Thanks again.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: ptgd1-la