From: james on
I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace. Does anyone
have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
with lots of layers. Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
viewing all my images.

Thanks Kindly
From: Mike Russell on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:48:10 -0700, james(a)uvvm.uvic.ca wrote:

> I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace. Does anyone
> have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
> should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
> with lots of layers. Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
> viewing all my images.
>
> Thanks Kindly

I'd recommend any general purpose 64 bit system running Windows 7. Make
sure you can upgrade to at least 8GB of memory, and that you have a PCI
express slot for video.

CS5 has been announced. My understanding is that if you purchase CS4, you
will be eligible for a free upgrade to CS5 when it becomes available April
12.

If you have Photoshop CS, you can upgrade to CS4, then get your free
upgrade to CS5. This window of opportunity may be your last chance at the
CS5 upgrade price.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: mike on
In article <jf42r5h2lapg2100ffd3hnn2d51i99tfgt(a)4ax.com>,
james(a)uvvm.uvic.ca says...
> I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace. Does anyone
> have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
> should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
> with lots of layers. Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
> viewing all my images.

Those are big images. I estimate that a 25 gb image consisting 25 layers
of 16 bit-per-channel RGB data would be around 10,000x10,000 pixels! Or
you could have 1000+ layers of editing if you limited yourself to an
image with resolution typical of a top-end SLR. Could there be a
misprint somewhere, because otherwise it may be difficult to find a PC
architecture that would even allow for 25gb+ of RAM?

Mike
From: james on
I only mean the camera image is 25gb.

Just trying to familiarize myself with how much ram, processor, video
card etc I need. A lot has changed from my old computer like DDR3,
Duo Core, Quad Core, I think they even have a Six Core what ever it is
called. I almost get the feeling that laptops are cheaper than a desk
top.

From: Kabuki on

<james(a)uvvm.uvic.ca> wrote in message
>I only mean the camera image is 25gb.

you mean MB right? not GB
I don't think even hasselblad or leica gives a 25 gb image