From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Can anyone advise as to what this is and can/should it be
> eliminated?

This is the result of an attempt to boot from the network.

However, the board should not default to booting from the network even
when it is new. That's a very good indication that the board is stuck
in manufacturing mode, especially if you check the boot order in
system setup and find it to be correct.

I had a Dimension E521 board that did the same thing when first
unboxed. I don't recall what I did to break it out of manufacturing
mode. It might have been enough to simply run through system setup,
change a few settings and go on.

William
From: Ben Myers on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Can anyone advise as to what this is and can/should it be
>> eliminated?
>
> This is the result of an attempt to boot from the network.
>
> However, the board should not default to booting from the network even
> when it is new. That's a very good indication that the board is stuck
> in manufacturing mode, especially if you check the boot order in
> system setup and find it to be correct.
>
> I had a Dimension E521 board that did the same thing when first
> unboxed. I don't recall what I did to break it out of manufacturing
> mode. It might have been enough to simply run through system setup,
> change a few settings and go on.
>
> William

Many motherboards have a jumper setting to switch between manufacturing
mode and vanilla mode... Ben Myers

Pages: 1
Prev: Dead laptop?
Next: Dead laptop?