From: Ron Hardin on
My Vostro 1500 (2.0GHz 4MB L2 Cache) seems to
have died after 20 months.

Won't turn on (turned itself off in fact).

On adapter, causes (90w) adapter light to go off.

Same with another Vostro 1500 (90w) adapter.

Take battery out, hold power button for 1 minute,
reinsert battery, it won't turn on for battery
either. Battery self test button shows full
charge.

So I take it the motherboard is bad?

Since the repair cost is $159 plus extra for
motherboards, it looks like this baby is destined
for spare parts. Assuming I can figure out how to
take one apart. It isn't obvious.

Good reasoning?
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> On adapter, causes (90w) adapter light to go off.

Have you tried running it from the AC adapter only with no battery
installed?

> So I take it the motherboard is bad?

I didn't see a separate DC-DC converter board in the service manual, so
perhaps this circuit is built into the motherboard. It looks to be a
moderately large job to get the system board out.

Here is the service manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/sm/index.htm

Are you sure the system is out of warranty?

William

From: Ron Hardin on
William R. Walsh wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > On adapter, causes (90w) adapter light to go off.
>
> Have you tried running it from the AC adapter only with no battery
> installed?
>
> > So I take it the motherboard is bad?
>
> I didn't see a separate DC-DC converter board in the service manual, so
> perhaps this circuit is built into the motherboard. It looks to be a
> moderately large job to get the system board out.
>
> Here is the service manual:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/sm/index.htm
>
> Are you sure the system is out of warranty?
>
> William

It's not happy with any combination of adapter and battery, just dead.

It's certainly out of warranty.

Computer-power wise (cpu), it's worth $488 new at going prices, so it's probably
better just to get a new (refurbished) Vostro that has another year warranty.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Notan on
On 12/22/2009 4:51 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> My Vostro 1500 (2.0GHz 4MB L2 Cache) seems to
> have died after 20 months.
>
> Won't turn on (turned itself off in fact).
>
> On adapter, causes (90w) adapter light to go off.
>
> Same with another Vostro 1500 (90w) adapter.
>
> Take battery out, hold power button for 1 minute,
> reinsert battery, it won't turn on for battery
> either. Battery self test button shows full
> charge.
>
> So I take it the motherboard is bad?
>
> Since the repair cost is $159 plus extra for
> motherboards, it looks like this baby is destined
> for spare parts. Assuming I can figure out how to
> take one apart. It isn't obvious.
>
> Good reasoning?

Before scrapping it, try reseating the memory chip(s).
From: Tony Harding on
Notan wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 4:51 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
>> My Vostro 1500 (2.0GHz 4MB L2 Cache) seems to
>> have died after 20 months.
>>
>> Won't turn on (turned itself off in fact).
>>
>> On adapter, causes (90w) adapter light to go off.
>>
>> Same with another Vostro 1500 (90w) adapter.
>>
>> Take battery out, hold power button for 1 minute,
>> reinsert battery, it won't turn on for battery
>> either. Battery self test button shows full
>> charge.
>>
>> So I take it the motherboard is bad?
>>
>> Since the repair cost is $159 plus extra for
>> motherboards, it looks like this baby is destined
>> for spare parts. Assuming I can figure out how to
>> take one apart. It isn't obvious.
>>
>> Good reasoning?
>
> Before scrapping it, try reseating the memory chip(s).

And offering the dead laptop for sale AS IS - someone may want it as a
parts machine,