From: Mike S. on

Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.

Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
HDD and not the controller.

Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.

Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.

From: Ben Myers on
Mike S. wrote:
> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>
> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
> HDD and not the controller.
>
> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>
> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.

I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers
From: Daddy on
Ben Myers wrote:
> Mike S. wrote:
>> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
>> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
>> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
>> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
>> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
>> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
>> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>>
>> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
>> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
>> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
>> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
>> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
>> HDD and not the controller.
>>
>> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
>> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
>> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
>> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>>
>> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
>> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung
>> drives;
>> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>>

> I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
> off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
> with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
> of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers

Funny...I just had my Seagate boot drive (different model) fail on me,
barely two months after its warranty expired. (How do manufacturers
manage that?)

In my case, the platters still spun, but the drive was not recognized by
the BIOS. (Something on the PCB overheated, is my hypothesis.) I was all
backed up, so no big deal. I replaced it with a Western Digital drive.

The point of all this being that when I first bought the drive, Seagate
was everyone's favorite and WD was the whipping boy. Now it's the
opposite. The hard drive business must be like Project Runway: One day
you're 'in' and the next day you're 'out'.

Daddy
From: lgreenwood on
On Dec 24, 10:15 am, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Mike S. wrote:
> > Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
> > intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
> > minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
> > system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
> > startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
> > nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
> > expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>
> > Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
> > WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
> > XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
> > 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
> > The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
> > HDD and not the controller.
>
> > Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
> > actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
> > days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
> > to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>
> > Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
> > pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
> > also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>
> I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
> off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result.  I have been sticking
> with WD lately with no problems to report.  Seagate is still at the top
> of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers

I can remember the time when seagate ruled...It was a happy day for me
when I was able to upgrade my Kaypro 10 meg to a seagate 20 meg
harddrive for a mere $600. I remember some friends cautioning me
about storing so much data on a drive. Of course backup in the early
80s was hardly on anyone's mind, except for businesses running
mainframes. Larry
From: lgreenwood on
On Dec 24, 10:34 am, Daddy <da...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
> > Mike S. wrote:
> >> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
> >> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
> >> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
> >> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
> >> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
> >> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
> >> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>
> >> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
> >> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
> >> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
> >> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
> >> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
> >> HDD and not the controller.
>
> >> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
> >> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
> >> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
> >> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>
> >> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
> >> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung
> >> drives;
> >> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>
> > I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
> > off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result.  I have been sticking
> > with WD lately with no problems to report.  Seagate is still at the top
> > of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers
>
> Funny...I just had my Seagate boot drive (different model) fail on me,
> barely two months after its warranty expired. (How do manufacturers
> manage that?)
>
> In my case, the platters still spun, but the drive was not recognized by
> the BIOS. (Something on the PCB overheated, is my hypothesis.) I was all
> backed up, so no big deal. I replaced it with a Western Digital drive.
>
> The point of all this being that when I first bought the drive, Seagate
> was everyone's favorite and WD was the whipping boy. Now it's the
> opposite. The hard drive business must be like Project Runway: One day
> you're 'in' and the next day you're 'out'.
>
> Daddy

You are right, there is an ebb and flow on hard drives issues. And
yes, I have read some not so favorable reviews about some models of WD
drives a while back. When I recently bought a Optiplex 360 last
summer, there was a notice from somewhere, I think the Dell website,
about seagate drives in the 250 gig size being a problem. But the
seagate 320 gig drives were ok according to the source. So I had my
new Optiplex configured with two seagate 320s and so far so good.

Larry
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Dead laptop?