From: Tony Harding on
lgreenwood(a)srt.com wrote:
> On Dec 24, 5:31 pm, Tony Harding <toh...(a)universalexports.bogus.net>
> wrote:
>> Top wrote:
>>> In article <aede6746-e00b-4f0f-898f-f71d27039...(a)n38g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
>>> lgreenw...(a)srt.com says...
>>> We had that problem with some other systems of the times as we were changing cards and
>>> ordering new decks once a month. For the autovon switch though they used the same deck all
>>> the time with rare insertions made. Almost the only time they needed to reload was when
>>> there had been a system outage or some interruption. I was talking to a friend recently that
>>> was one of the managers in the switching system and after asking a couple of questions I
>>> found I have more memory in my cell phone than there was in autovon switch. That switch
>>> served all the military autovon users on Okinawa as well as all the trunk lines that went to
>>> mainland Japan, Korea, The Philippines and to Hawaii. My how times have changed.
>> Funny how things evolve - I had a realization about 20 years ago that
>> between the PC on my desk with 1.5 MB of memory (remember the expanded
>> memory boards?) and my HP Laserjet II with 2.5 MB of memory that I had
>> more memory on my desk than all the mainframes together that I'd worked
>> on to date (went to work for IBM in 1965). Just ordered a new Dell
>> XPS9000 with 12 GB of memory.
>>
>> Regarding, Seagate vs WD, I recently bought 3 1TB drives, one is WD but
>> the performance stinks according to HD Tune. The other 2 are Seagates
>> (ST31000528AS), which scream according to HD Tune. With any luck the
>> Seagate problem is restricted to the 259 GB model. :) Very happy with
>> the Seagates to date.
>
> Yes, odd how things change...a bad batch of seagate drives doesnt mean
> that all seagate drives are bad. I imagine that is the case with all
> drives even WD. Have to keep an open mind and monitor the groups like
> this one to keep up to date. Generally if you get a bad batch of
> drives you will find out here and you can stay away from them, but it
> does not mean the entire product line is bad. Right now, for me, it
> is the nVidia graphics card that runs way too hot in my laptop, in a
> few months it will be something else. It is important that you keep
> informed and up to date. The product that is great today will be a
> bummer tomorrow. Larry

Yup, and may be next year's hot model.
From: Tony Harding on
RnR wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:15:36 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Mike S. wrote:
>>> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
>>> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
>>> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
>>> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
>>> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
>>> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
>>> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>>>
>>> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
>>> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
>>> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
>>> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
>>> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
>>> HDD and not the controller.
>>>
>>> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
>>> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
>>> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
>>> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>>>
>>> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
>>> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
>>> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>>>
>> I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
>> off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
>> with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
>> of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers
>
> I had one of two Seagate 5 year warrantee drives fail on me. I didn't
> even bother to ship it back (still under the warrantee) but rather
> just go buy a WD larger drive instead. I was disappointed in Seagate
> because I hadn't used it that much <snip>

A reminder that internal HDDs all spin so long as the power in ON, so
the clock is ticking.
From: RnR on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:36:38 -0500, Tony Harding
<tohard(a)universalexports.bogus.net> wrote:

>RnR wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:15:36 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
>>> off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
>>> with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
>>> of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers
>>
>> I had one of two Seagate 5 year warrantee drives fail on me. I didn't
>> even bother to ship it back (still under the warrantee) but rather
>> just go buy a WD larger drive instead. I was disappointed in Seagate
>> because I hadn't used it that much <snip>
>
>A reminder that internal HDDs all spin so long as the power in ON, so
>the clock is ticking.

Mine was used as an external drive tho and not on that much.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Dead laptop?
Next: Problem with Kodak Printer