From: Gary Baldi on
On Dec 26, 5:15 pm, "lgreenw...(a)srt.com" <lgreenw...(a)srt.com> wrote:

> Another perspective on this is....If the vendors themselves know that
> a hard drive manufacturer does not honor its warranties or otherwise
> simply do not respond to warranty claims, then why do they do business
> with them?

Gary Baldi's Elite PC company ships 100,000 units a month.

Seagate (or Maxtor, or WD) say they'll supply me with 100,000 250gb
hard drives with 5 year warranty @ £20 each (volumes and values are
nominal).

AN Other hard driver manufacturer comes along and says they'll supply
me the same quantity @ £19 each.

That's £100,000 extra profit for me; I'm not overly bothered whether
the drives fail and Joe Public loses his/her autobiography. I blame
the drive manufacturer, replace the drive and claim it back from him.

I'm still £100k a month up on the deal.
From: Mike S. on

In article <hh07jo$ong$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote:
>Mike S. wrote:
>> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
>> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
>> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
>> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
>> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
>> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
>> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>>
>> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
>> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
>> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
>> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
>> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
>> HDD and not the controller.
>>
>> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
>> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
>> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
>> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>>
>> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
>> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
>> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>>

>I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
>off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
>with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
>of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers

Well, I'm still dead in the water here. Just before going to replace the
drive I was able to boot a Live CD and tried to run various utilities but
nothing would see the drive. SeaTools for DOS hung at the license
agreement screen.

Pulled the Seagate and replaced it with a WD 320. It spins up but I still
can't get anywhere. After the POST screen, with a bootable DVD and floppy
in place, it just hangs with a blinking cursor.

I've tried hitting F2 and F12 during the self test but it never gets any
further. Now I can't even boot from the DVD at all.

I've tried reseating the cables; even ran the drive off an external power
supply (yes it spins) but I never get past the power-up.

What am I missing here? Is there some other magic key sequence I can use
to get past this? All this time I've been blaming the HDD; could the SATA
0 channel on the controller be blown?

rather than

From: Mike S. on

In article <hh8ml9$d3m$1(a)reader1.panix.com>,
Mike S. <retsuhcs(a)xinap.moc> wrote:

>In article <hh07jo$ong$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote:
>>Mike S. wrote:
>>> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
>>> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
>>> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
>>> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
>>> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
>>> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
>>> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>>>
>>> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
>>> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
>>> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
>>> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
>>> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
>>> HDD and not the controller.
>>>
>>> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
>>> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
>>> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
>>> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>>>
>>> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
>>> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
>>> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>>>

>>I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
>>off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
>>with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
>>of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers
>
>Well, I'm still dead in the water here. Just before going to replace the
>drive I was able to boot a Live CD and tried to run various utilities but
>nothing would see the drive. SeaTools for DOS hung at the license
>agreement screen.
>
>Pulled the Seagate and replaced it with a WD 320. It spins up but I still
>can't get anywhere. After the POST screen, with a bootable DVD and floppy
>in place, it just hangs with a blinking cursor.
>
>I've tried hitting F2 and F12 during the self test but it never gets any
>further. Now I can't even boot from the DVD at all.
>
>I've tried reseating the cables; even ran the drive off an external power
>supply (yes it spins) but I never get past the power-up.
>
>What am I missing here? Is there some other magic key sequence I can use
>to get past this? All this time I've been blaming the HDD; could the SATA
>0 channel on the controller be blown?

For what it's worth, I fixed it by shorting the RTC clear jumper on the
motherboard. Only then could I boot a CD and partition the drive. Weird.

From: Top on
In article <hh901i$fqi$1(a)reader1.panix.com>, retsuhcs(a)xinap.moc says...
> >in place, it just hangs with a blinking cursor.
> >
> >I've tried hitting F2 and F12 during the self test but it never gets any
> >further. Now I can't even boot from the DVD at all.
> >
> >I've tried reseating the cables; even ran the drive off an external power
> >supply (yes it spins) but I never get past the power-up.
> >
> >What am I missing here? Is there some other magic key sequence I can use
> >to get past this? All this time I've been blaming the HDD; could the SATA
> >0 channel on the controller be blown?
>
> For what it's worth, I fixed it by shorting the RTC clear jumper on the
> motherboard. Only then could I boot a CD and partition the drive. Weird.

Electrons got lost and you showed them the path of least resistance.

Ed

--
For those who have trouble remembering the words for the song '99 Bottles of
Beer on the Wall', somewhere on the Internet there's a page with the
From: Tony Harding on
Gary Baldi wrote:
> On Dec 24, 5:34 pm, Daddy <da...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> The point of all this being that when I first bought the drive, Seagate
>> was everyone's favorite and WD was the whipping boy. Now it's the
>> opposite. The hard drive business must be like Project Runway: One day
>> you're 'in' and the next day you're 'out'.
>>
>> Daddy- Hide quoted text -

> WD have never been anyone's whipping boy?
>
> They're the only drive I use; I've had brand new Dells, opened them
> up, found Maxtors or Seagates in there and have pulled them and bought
> new WD drives.
>
> 5 year warranties aint worth jack if you've lost all your data.

That's why God invented backups. <g>

FWIW I have mostly avoided WD drives the last 10-15 years.

<no flame intended BTW>

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Dead laptop?