From: Top on
In article <aede6746-e00b-4f0f-898f-f71d27039d39(a)n38g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
lgreenwood(a)srt.com says...

> On Dec 24, 1:24�pm, Top <e...(a)neo.rr.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <3640a521-855b-4aad-9e84-b6b59de9f...(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> > lgreenw...(a)srt.com says...

> > > I can remember the time when seagate ruled...It was a happy day for me
> > > when I was able to upgrade my Kaypro 10 meg to a seagate 20 meg
> > > harddrive for a mere $600. �I remember some friends cautioning me
> > > about storing so much data on a drive. �Of course backup in the early
> > > 80s was hardly on anyone's mind, except for businesses running
> > > mainframes. Larry
> >
> > I worked next door to a military telephone switching center (autovon) and their backup
> > included several large stacks of punch cards. They had some 8 inch floppy drives but they
> > were too unreliable to trust for DCA.
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > --
> > For those who have trouble remembering the words for the song '99 Bottles of
> > Beer on the Wall', somewhere on the Internet there's a page with the
> > complete lyrics: all 100 verses!
>
> And of course a common problem with the punch cards was that key punch
> operators sometimes left loose paper clips and rubber bands in a pack
> of cards. Upon processing a rubber band the card reader would go
> "kurchunk" and you sent the next half hour or so digging rubber band
> pieces out of the card reader. Larry

We had that problem with some other systems of the times as we were changing cards and
ordering new decks once a month. For the autovon switch though they used the same deck all
the time with rare insertions made. Almost the only time they needed to reload was when
there had been a system outage or some interruption. I was talking to a friend recently that
was one of the managers in the switching system and after asking a couple of questions I
found I have more memory in my cell phone than there was in autovon switch. That switch
served all the military autovon users on Okinawa as well as all the trunk lines that went to
mainland Japan, Korea, The Philippines and to Hawaii. My how times have changed.

Ed

From: Tony Harding on
Top wrote:
> In article <aede6746-e00b-4f0f-898f-f71d27039d39(a)n38g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
> lgreenwood(a)srt.com says...
>> On Dec 24, 1:24 pm, Top <e...(a)neo.rr.invalid> wrote:
>>> In article <3640a521-855b-4aad-9e84-b6b59de9f...(a)p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>>> lgreenw...(a)srt.com says...

>>> I worked next door to a military telephone switching center (autovon) and their backup
>>> included several large stacks of punch cards. They had some 8 inch floppy drives but they
>>> were too unreliable to trust for DCA.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>
>>> --
>>> For those who have trouble remembering the words for the song '99 Bottles of
>>> Beer on the Wall', somewhere on the Internet there's a page with the
>>> complete lyrics: all 100 verses!
>> And of course a common problem with the punch cards was that key punch
>> operators sometimes left loose paper clips and rubber bands in a pack
>> of cards. Upon processing a rubber band the card reader would go
>> "kurchunk" and you sent the next half hour or so digging rubber band
>> pieces out of the card reader. Larry
>
> We had that problem with some other systems of the times as we were changing cards and
> ordering new decks once a month. For the autovon switch though they used the same deck all
> the time with rare insertions made. Almost the only time they needed to reload was when
> there had been a system outage or some interruption. I was talking to a friend recently that
> was one of the managers in the switching system and after asking a couple of questions I
> found I have more memory in my cell phone than there was in autovon switch. That switch
> served all the military autovon users on Okinawa as well as all the trunk lines that went to
> mainland Japan, Korea, The Philippines and to Hawaii. My how times have changed.

Funny how things evolve - I had a realization about 20 years ago that
between the PC on my desk with 1.5 MB of memory (remember the expanded
memory boards?) and my HP Laserjet II with 2.5 MB of memory that I had
more memory on my desk than all the mainframes together that I'd worked
on to date (went to work for IBM in 1965). Just ordered a new Dell
XPS9000 with 12 GB of memory.

Regarding, Seagate vs WD, I recently bought 3 1TB drives, one is WD but
the performance stinks according to HD Tune. The other 2 are Seagates
(ST31000528AS), which scream according to HD Tune. With any luck the
Seagate problem is restricted to the 259 GB model. :) Very happy with
the Seagates to date.

From: lgreenwood on
On Dec 24, 5:31 pm, Tony Harding <toh...(a)universalexports.bogus.net>
wrote:
> Top wrote:
> > In article <aede6746-e00b-4f0f-898f-f71d27039...(a)n38g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
> > lgreenw...(a)srt.com says...

> >> And of course a common problem with the punch cards was that key punch
> >> operators sometimes left loose paper clips and rubber bands in a pack
> >> of cards.  Upon processing a rubber band the card reader would go
> >> "kurchunk" and you sent the next half hour or so digging rubber band
> >> pieces out of the card reader.  Larry
>
> > We had that problem with some other systems of the times as we were changing cards and
> > ordering new decks once a month. For the autovon switch though they used the same deck all
> > the time with rare insertions made. Almost the only time they needed to reload was when
> > there had been a system outage or some interruption. I was talking to a friend recently that
> > was one of the managers in the switching system and after asking a couple of questions I
> > found I have more memory in my cell phone than there was in autovon switch. That switch
> > served all the military autovon users on Okinawa as well as all the trunk lines that went to
> > mainland Japan, Korea, The Philippines and to Hawaii. My how times have changed.
>
> Funny how things evolve - I had a realization about 20 years ago that
> between the PC on my desk with 1.5 MB of memory (remember the expanded
> memory boards?) and my HP Laserjet II with 2.5 MB of memory that I had
> more memory on my desk than all the mainframes together that I'd worked
> on to date (went to work for IBM in 1965). Just ordered a new Dell
> XPS9000 with 12 GB of memory.
>
> Regarding, Seagate vs WD, I recently bought 3 1TB drives, one is WD but
> the performance stinks according to HD Tune. The other 2 are Seagates
> (ST31000528AS), which scream according to HD Tune. With any luck the
> Seagate problem is restricted to the 259 GB model. :) Very happy with
> the Seagates to date.

Yes, odd how things change...a bad batch of seagate drives doesnt mean
that all seagate drives are bad. I imagine that is the case with all
drives even WD. Have to keep an open mind and monitor the groups like
this one to keep up to date. Generally if you get a bad batch of
drives you will find out here and you can stay away from them, but it
does not mean the entire product line is bad. Right now, for me, it
is the nVidia graphics card that runs way too hot in my laptop, in a
few months it will be something else. It is important that you keep
informed and up to date. The product that is great today will be a
bummer tomorrow. Larry
From: Top on
In article <ec5ffede-fb4a-4f8e-a368-df8a7cfea7e6(a)22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com>,
lgreenwood(a)srt.com says...

> On Dec 24, 5:31�pm, Tony Harding <toh...(a)universalexports.bogus.net>
> wrote:
> > Top wrote:
> > > In article <aede6746-e00b-4f0f-898f-f71d27039...(a)n38g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
> > > lgreenw...(a)srt.com says...

> > > We had that problem with some other systems of the times as we were changing cards and
> > > ordering new decks once a month. For the autovon switch though they used the same deck all
> > > the time with rare insertions made. Almost the only time they needed to reload was when
> > > there had been a system outage or some interruption. I was talking to a friend recently that
> > > was one of the managers in the switching system and after asking a couple of questions I
> > > found I have more memory in my cell phone than there was in autovon switch. That switch
> > > served all the military autovon users on Okinawa as well as all the trunk lines that went to
> > > mainland Japan, Korea, The Philippines and to Hawaii. My how times have changed.
> >
> > Funny how things evolve - I had a realization about 20 years ago that
> > between the PC on my desk with 1.5 MB of memory (remember the expanded
> > memory boards?) and my HP Laserjet II with 2.5 MB of memory that I had
> > more memory on my desk than all the mainframes together that I'd worked
> > on to date (went to work for IBM in 1965). Just ordered a new Dell
> > XPS9000 with 12 GB of memory.
> >
> > Regarding, Seagate vs WD, I recently bought 3 1TB drives, one is WD but
> > the performance stinks according to HD Tune. The other 2 are Seagates
> > (ST31000528AS), which scream according to HD Tune. With any luck the
> > Seagate problem is restricted to the 259 GB model. :) Very happy with
> > the Seagates to date.
>
> Yes, odd how things change...a bad batch of seagate drives doesnt mean
> that all seagate drives are bad. I imagine that is the case with all
> drives even WD. Have to keep an open mind and monitor the groups like
> this one to keep up to date. Generally if you get a bad batch of
> drives you will find out here and you can stay away from them, but it
> does not mean the entire product line is bad. Right now, for me, it
> is the nVidia graphics card that runs way too hot in my laptop, in a
> few months it will be something else. It is important that you keep
> informed and up to date. The product that is great today will be a
> bummer tomorrow. Larry

My first hd was one of the 10mg hard cards, the drive mounted to the pc card. I even ran a
BBS from it for over a year. I just bought an Iomega external 1 tb to go with my new laptop.
When I was running a 2mhz NEC 8080 (Z80?) with 64 Kb and C\PM if you would have told me
that I would later use a laptop 2.2 ghz, 4gb mem on Windows 7 I would have had no idea what
you were talking about. You could buy a Hays 300 baud modem for about $600 then and now I
have a cable modem.

In my desktop I have a Seagate 1 TB that has been doing fine for close to a year now, maybe
a little less. I haven't seen the number of drives that some people that service systems but
I've generally had good luck in the last 8 years with almost any manufactor. Of course I do
read enough to see if any company seems to be having a bad run.

Ed

From: RnR on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:15:36 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>Mike S. wrote:
>> Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
>> intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
>> minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
>> system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
>> startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
>> nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
>> expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>>
>> Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
>> WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
>> XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
>> 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
>> The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
>> HDD and not the controller.
>>
>> Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
>> actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
>> days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
>> to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>>
>> Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
>> pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
>> also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>>

>I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
>off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result. I have been sticking
>with WD lately with no problems to report. Seagate is still at the top
>of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers

I had one of two Seagate 5 year warrantee drives fail on me. I didn't
even bother to ship it back (still under the warrantee) but rather
just go buy a WD larger drive instead. I was disappointed in Seagate
because I hadn't used it that much so that's why I didn't want to buy
or mess with another Seagate. I think the WD I got has the same
warrantee. So far so good but I don't use it much either (more or
less just used as a backup drive right now).
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Dead laptop?
Next: Problem with Kodak Printer