From: Gary Baldi on
On Dec 24, 5:15 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:

> I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
> off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result.  I have been sticking
> with WD lately with no problems to report.  Seagate is still at the top
> of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

I have a video capture card which powers my CCTV system; the software
that accompanies it has (yesterday) been updated and the recommended
system requirements now explicitly state that Seagate hard drives are
not recommended.

Bear in mind this software is designed to write data 24/7 to the hard
drive.

I'm assuming the software manufacturer has had a raft of complaints
regarding the unreliability of Seagate drives?

Have to say, I'd be gutted if someone broke in here and when I went to
examine footage I found the drive had gone belly up.

From: Gary Baldi on
On Dec 24, 5:34 pm, Daddy <da...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> The point of all this being that when I first bought the drive, Seagate
> was everyone's favorite and WD was the whipping boy. Now it's the
> opposite. The hard drive business must be like Project Runway: One day
> you're 'in' and the next day you're 'out'.
>
> Daddy- Hide quoted text -

WD have never been anyone's whipping boy?

They're the only drive I use; I've had brand new Dells, opened them
up, found Maxtors or Seagates in there and have pulled them and bought
new WD drives.

5 year warranties aint worth jack if you've lost all your data.

From: Ben Myers on
Gary Baldi wrote:
> On Dec 24, 5:34 pm, Daddy <da...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> The point of all this being that when I first bought the drive, Seagate
>> was everyone's favorite and WD was the whipping boy. Now it's the
>> opposite. The hard drive business must be like Project Runway: One day
>> you're 'in' and the next day you're 'out'.
>>
>> Daddy- Hide quoted text -

> WD have never been anyone's whipping boy?
>
> They're the only drive I use; I've had brand new Dells, opened them
> up, found Maxtors or Seagates in there and have pulled them and bought
> new WD drives.
>
> 5 year warranties aint worth jack if you've lost all your data.

WD had its moments in the past. A number of years ago, they were
teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and it showed in product quality.
I went to the bankruptcy auction of Total Peripherals, a mid-level
distributor, and bought a metro cart full of misc drives. Checked the
warranty status on them, and sent nearly a carton full of them back to
WD for replacement. Since then, the new WD drives have been OK by me.

A 5-year warranty is not nearly worth the value of the data on the
drive. And if a drive goes belly up before 5, chances are its capacity
is obsolete anyway. Then there is the cost of sending the drive back to
the mfr. Comforting to know that there is a 5-year warranty, but
impractical... Ben Myers
From: RnR on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:42:47 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>Gary Baldi wrote:
>> On Dec 24, 5:34 pm, Daddy <da...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> The point of all this being that when I first bought the drive, Seagate
>>> was everyone's favorite and WD was the whipping boy. Now it's the
>>> opposite. The hard drive business must be like Project Runway: One day
>>> you're 'in' and the next day you're 'out'.
>>>
>>> Daddy- Hide quoted text -

>> WD have never been anyone's whipping boy?
>>
>> They're the only drive I use; I've had brand new Dells, opened them
>> up, found Maxtors or Seagates in there and have pulled them and bought
>> new WD drives.
>>
>> 5 year warranties aint worth jack if you've lost all your data.
>>

>WD had its moments in the past. A number of years ago, they were
>teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and it showed in product quality.
> I went to the bankruptcy auction of Total Peripherals, a mid-level
>distributor, and bought a metro cart full of misc drives. Checked the
>warranty status on them, and sent nearly a carton full of them back to
>WD for replacement. Since then, the new WD drives have been OK by me.
>
>A 5-year warranty is not nearly worth the value of the data on the
>drive. And if a drive goes belly up before 5, chances are its capacity
>is obsolete anyway. Then there is the cost of sending the drive back to
>the mfr. Comforting to know that there is a 5-year warranty, but
>impractical... Ben Myers

Ben, you hit everything right on the nail. I faced the dilemna to
return my failed 5 yr warrantee Seagate at my cost to ship or do
something else. I decided to put that money instead to a larget WD
drive (also with 5 yr warrantee). For some reason, Seagate just
disappointed me even tho I have another similar one doing fine. And I
have to agree that the 5 year warrantee (at least IMO) is nothing more
than a comforting thought. While I think in general the 5 yr
warrantee HDs probably are better than the 1 yr ones, I wouldn't bet
on that for every single drive so I prefer to have more than one drive
and make backups.

You also got it right and anyone who has been around pcs will agree
that the top choice of HD companies bounces around from year to year
such that Seagate may have been last year, WD this year and so forth.
From: lgreenwood on
On Dec 24, 10:15 am, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Mike S. wrote:
> > Last night I turned on my infrequently-used Optiplex 755 with the
> > intention of burning another DVD of last year's Christmas party. A few
> > minutes later I cam back to see why it wans't at the Windows desktop. The
> > system had hung just after POST. Rebooting and watching things during
> > startup, I noticed huge pauses around the time of POST and then ...
> > nothing. I checked the BIOS settings - the hard drive was detected at the
> > expected size. It's a Seagate ST3250310AS - 250 GB.
>
> > Fearing the HDD or controller might be bad, I tried to boot a few live
> > WinPE-based CD's. All failed. Many just hung after loading files; one
> > XP-based live CD consistently delivers a BSOD with the dreaded STOP
> > 0x0000007B. Had a look inside - drive is powered, and all cables look OK.
> > The ability to at least partially boot a CD leads me to believe it's the
> > HDD and not the controller.
>
> > Googled around and found lots of problem reports with this drive (well,
> > actually, Seagate in general) including failures in as little as a few
> > days after installation. One guy on Newegg said it was nearly impossible
> > to get Seagate to RMA it, and takes forever to get action.
>
> > Based on that, I'm kinda leaning towards just cutting to the chase and
> > pourchasing a new drive. Have heard good things about some Samsung drives;
> > also WD if not the best, at least has good warranty support.
>
> I, too, have had Seagate ST3250310AS drives fail, and Seagate got itself
> off my preferred list for SATA drives as a result.  I have been sticking
> with WD lately with no problems to report.  Seagate is still at the top
> of my list for SCSI drives... Ben Myers

Another perspective on this is....If the vendors themselves know that
a hard drive manufacturer does not honor its warranties or otherwise
simply do not respond to warranty claims, then why do they do business
with them? If the vendors themselves stop doing business with those
hard drive manufacturers that do not honor their warranties then maybe
the hard drive manufacturer would start paying attention to its
customers. Somewhere there has to be some motivation for the hard
drive manufacturer to stand 100% behind its products and only the
vendors like Newegg and others can make that happen by refusing to do
business with the hard drive manufacturer, I think. Otherwise nothing
changes and some (or maybe most of of) us will, sooner or later, get
stuck with a bad product. Larry
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Dead laptop?