From: Ron Hardin on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Unfortunately, with the number of systems that appear to have this
> problem, I doubt that simply replacing the motherboard would buy you
> more time than you got the first time. But at the current price, and
> if you could do it yourself, assuming the replacment board lasts
> another 20 months...by then the system's value would have dropped
> more, and you'd have gotten more time out of it.
>
> (I'd be extremely disappointed if I'd have purchased a laptop only to
> have it die after 20 months.)
>
> This time around, consider a Latitude. They are a better computer than
> the Vostro and Inspiron. The D800, D830 and D6x0 are all very good
> systems for a lot of work. So too is the Latitude E5400.

The office experience with Vostros is pretty good, about 1 in 10 fails in
the warranty period but not thereafter. This would be a late failer, considered
in that population. Late failers are bad news.

On the other hand my Inspiron 1200 that I use at home as a desktop has been
going strong for years.

Overall the Dell stuff seems pretty good. Maybe we're exceptionally good at
complaining nicely but persistently, though.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com