From: Alanrco on

"First of One" <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> "Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor(a)wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message
>> hmmm, that's unfortunate. I have a ATI Radeon HD 5870 and no problems
>> with AA at all in ME2. Just changed over from Nvidia 8800GTX and glad I
>> did as I think Nvidia are currently losing the battle, what with higher
>> power use and being more noisy and ATI out-performing them. A marked
>> difference to how quiet my system is now.
>
> Interesting observation, because the 8800GTX is not known to have a loud
> reference cooler (at least when compared to the HD2900XT back then). What
> temps are you getting under load with your HD5870? I keep my GTX285 fan at
> 65% and temps plateau in the 70C range under load.
>
> After some experimentation I remembered ME1 had AA working reliably.
> Renaming the ME2 executable to masseffect.exe, AA now works well.

I care little about temperatures only that my case appears to be very cool.
Having said that; as well as the ATI fan I have four other fans running
inside the case. It remains to be seen how long the ATI will live :) However
as one who tend to change the graphic card every two years or so I expect no
problems. This was the case with the Nvidia 8800GTX which was just over 2
years old. I think a graphics manufacturer should be confident enough about
their product with their integrated fan to accept replacing it if it fails.
The size of this card defines that it needs a large case. So, not my problem
:D

However regarding ME2 a problem did develop after renaming the exe to UT3
where I lost the sound. The work-around was to run UT3.exe directly from the
directory that it was in. This seems to me that some code in the exe file
required that other item paths were local. I remember years ago when one
could make .bat files using DOS to run a sequence of instructions such as
defining the open directory. That should also work, negating the need to
open the directory to run the game. I haven't checked so I dunno if, with
Windows 7, bat files can still be made. If so a bat file shortcut would be
all that I would need.

Not too bothered as within a few months ME2 would be history for me as I'm
looking forward to Assassin's Creed 2 and Mafia 2 and Alan Wake (if it ever
sees the light of day on the PC - is that a retro-pun as Alan Wake is played
out in the dark - lol) as well as my casual play with World of Warcraft -
and so it goes on..:)

Alan