From: "Giga" "Giga" on
Hi, finally replacing my 5 year old acer for similar. Would like to keep XP
and all my data on C and D drive and put the new OS (Win 7) on a new E drive
and have the choice to use either OS, at start up presumably. Any ideas how
I would go about setting this up? Would just an external enclosure do the
trick, just run XP on that? Would the programmes still work (which is why
I'm doing this)?

Also any comments about Win 7? Haven't heard too much so I guess its
alright, at least compared to the disaster which was the Vista lauch from my
POV?

From: Alex Clayton on
"Giga" <"Giga" <just(removetheseandaddmatthe end)holme(a)yahoo.co> wrote in
message news:l86dnT_B2fxZVp7WnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
> Hi, finally replacing my 5 year old acer for similar. Would like to keep
> XP and all my data on C and D drive and put the new OS (Win 7) on a new E
> drive and have the choice to use either OS, at start up presumably. Any
> ideas how I would go about setting this up? Would just an external
> enclosure do the trick, just run XP on that? Would the programmes still
> work (which is why I'm doing this)?
>
> Also any comments about Win 7? Haven't heard too much so I guess its
> alright, at least compared to the disaster which was the Vista lauch from
> my POV?

It can be done as a dual boot, or so I am told. If you don't get a good
explanation here you might try
alt.windows7.general if your news feed has it. You will get some people who
are doing it and can tell you what will work.
--
To err is human.....
But to blame someone else shows management potential.

From: "Giga" "Giga" on

"Alex Clayton" <alexx1400(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Giga" <"Giga" <just(removetheseandaddmatthe end)holme(a)yahoo.co> wrote in
> message news:l86dnT_B2fxZVp7WnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>> Hi, finally replacing my 5 year old acer for similar. Would like to keep
>> XP and all my data on C and D drive and put the new OS (Win 7) on a new E
>> drive and have the choice to use either OS, at start up presumably. Any
>> ideas how I would go about setting this up? Would just an external
>> enclosure do the trick, just run XP on that? Would the programmes still
>> work (which is why I'm doing this)?
>>
>> Also any comments about Win 7? Haven't heard too much so I guess its
>> alright, at least compared to the disaster which was the Vista lauch from
>> my POV?
>>

> It can be done as a dual boot, or so I am told. If you don't get a good
> explanation here you might try
> alt.windows7.general if your news feed has it. You will get some people
> who are doing it and can tell you what will work.
> --
> To err is human.....
> But to blame someone else shows management potential.

Thanks I'll try there as well.

From: igotsaurus on
You may have to buy a new copy of XP.
You can either clone your old hard drive to the new, create a second
partition and install Win 7. WIn 7 will automatically set up a dual boot.
Or you can use your installation/restall discs/partition from your old
laptop to first install XP on your new machine, in its own partition, and
then Win 7 in its own partition.
Your initial copy of XP is activated only in relation to Acer notebooks of
it original class/motherboard. Installing it on a different motherboard will
likely require re-activation.

From: "Giga" "Giga" on

"igotsaurus" <fac_187(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You may have to buy a new copy of XP.
> You can either clone your old hard drive to the new, create a second
> partition and install Win 7. WIn 7 will automatically set up a dual boot.
> Or you can use your installation/restall discs/partition from your old
> laptop to first install XP on your new machine, in its own partition, and
> then Win 7 in its own partition.
> Your initial copy of XP is activated only in relation to Acer notebooks of
> it original class/motherboard. Installing it on a different motherboard
> will likely require re-activation.

OK, thanks.