From: Joe J. on

"sandy58" <aleckie68(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 16, 8:17 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote:
> "Joe J." <joe...(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message

> > "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote in message
>
> >> "Joe J." <joe...(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message

> >> You might check your System Restore storage space. It has a set amount
> >> dedicated (that you can adjust) and when you reach that amount, you
> >> have
> >> to start clearing out some Restore Points.
> > Did that and ended up deleting almost everything on the back-up drive,
> > still no luck. Did a chkdsk today and it says everything is ok on the
> > destination location.
> > My next step is to uninstall Ghost and reinstall, I did find my product
> > key.
> > Thanks,
>
> Good luck with the re-install. If that doesn't work, there's always a
> hammer.

<grinning> Works for me, that! :-)

Ok, now I am totally frustrated. To recap, Ghost runs until 95% complete
and then I get the error message
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Complete System
Backup.

Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 4096 sectors
starting at LBA 96215216.

Error EBAB03F1: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I haven't changed any hardware. After the copy didn't work to the 2nd
internal HD, I hooked up a USB external HD and got the same results with the
same error message. I completely removed all Norton products on my computer
using the Norton removal tool, then reinstalled Ghost. Same errors when
trying a back up to either HD.
Thinking it must be a Norton Ghost problem, I uninstalled it again and
downloaded Drive Image XML. I ran that twice, once to the internal drive
and a second time to the ext HD. I get a similar error message "A device
attached to the system is not functioning" on both tries.

Anybody got ideas?

From: - Bobb - on

"Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
<snipped>
> Ok, now I am totally frustrated. To recap, Ghost runs until 95% complete
> and then I get the error message
> Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Complete System
> Backup.
>>
> Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 4096 sectors
> starting at LBA 96215216.
>>
> Error EBAB03F1: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
>
> I haven't changed any hardware. After the copy didn't work to the 2nd
> internal HD, I hooked up a USB external HD and got the same results with
> the same error message. I completely removed all Norton products on my
> computer using the Norton removal tool, then reinstalled Ghost. Same
> errors when trying a back up to either HD.
> Thinking it must be a Norton Ghost problem, I uninstalled it again and
> downloaded Drive Image XML. I ran that twice, once to the internal drive
> and a second time to the ext HD. I get a similar error message "A device
> attached to the system is not functioning" on both tries.
>
> Anybody got ideas?

I would assume that the message :" cannot read 4096 sectors starting at LBA
96215216." means that you have BAD blocks on your source drive. Even though
system is otherwise running fine doesn't mean that a part of the disk isn't
bad.
What I've done to identify the area is to copy or run/schedule ghost to
backup one top-level folder and its subfolders. Keep working thru drive
until you get that error - that's the part of the drive that's bad. Once the
folder is known, to fix it:
Do NOT delete the original . Rename original folder to foldername_BAD. That
leaves the data on the disk and since you'll never need it again it won't
generate errors. Then restore that folder from a previous backup
OR
try to narrow it down to a file and just rename that file (to waste less
space). and rename just one file to filename_BAD and leave on the disk.

From: Joe J. on

"- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message

> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
> <snipped>
>> Ok, now I am totally frustrated. To recap, Ghost runs until 95% complete
>> and then I get the error message
>> Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Complete System
>> Backup.
>>>
>> Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 4096 sectors
>> starting at LBA 96215216.
>>>
>> Error EBAB03F1: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
>>
>> I haven't changed any hardware. After the copy didn't work to the 2nd
>> internal HD, I hooked up a USB external HD and got the same results with
>> the same error message. I completely removed all Norton products on my
>> computer using the Norton removal tool, then reinstalled Ghost. Same
>> errors when trying a back up to either HD.
>> Thinking it must be a Norton Ghost problem, I uninstalled it again and
>> downloaded Drive Image XML. I ran that twice, once to the internal drive
>> and a second time to the ext HD. I get a similar error message "A device
>> attached to the system is not functioning" on both tries.
>>
>> Anybody got ideas?
>>

> I would assume that the message :" cannot read 4096 sectors starting at
> LBA 96215216." means that you have BAD blocks on your source drive. Even
> though system is otherwise running fine doesn't mean that a part of the
> disk isn't bad.
> What I've done to identify the area is to copy or run/schedule ghost to
> backup one top-level folder and its subfolders. Keep working thru drive
> until you get that error - that's the part of the drive that's bad. Once
> the folder is known, to fix it:
> Do NOT delete the original . Rename original folder to foldername_BAD.
> That leaves the data on the disk and since you'll never need it again it
> won't generate errors. Then restore that folder from a previous backup
> OR
> try to narrow it down to a file and just rename that file (to waste less
> space). and rename just one file to filename_BAD and leave on the disk.
A few days ago I ran the disk diagnosis that comes with the bios and it
came back with error code 7. From everything I've Goggled, sounds like my C
drive is on its last legs. I then ran chkdisc and it repaired/moved the
data from the corrupt area. Ghost once again failed and so did XML. I've
ordered a new HD and I hoping the old one lasts until it arrives, but yes,
all my problems seemed to be connected to my HD. Too bad the original error
message was a little more specific, instead of "a device".

Thanks,
Joe