From: Joe J. on
Patience for the newbee please. I finally am going to transfer all my
photographs and CDs to computer. Someone in this group mentioned the EZ
Connect and this seems like it would be a cheap alternative to buying two
300-400GB external HD. I would buy two internal HDs for about $50 each and
use the EZ connect. My computer is older with a smaller HDs so I was
thinking photos & CDs would be stored externally and use a second external
HD to back it up. When I say external HD, I'm refereeing to the internal
drives via EZ Connect and they would not be mounted in the computer. Would I
need two EZ connects kits in order to use both drives at the same time.
Transfer everything to the first drive and then just make a backup to the
second.
Any other alternatives to my plan are welcome. If it matters, I'm using
XP-Pro and don't want to switch to Win7 until absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Joe

From: Jeff Strickland on
Why don't you just buy a USB hard drive. You can get 320G drives at WalMart
for $70.

Why would you transfer CDs to a HDD, that seems backwards. Normally you move
stuff from the HDD to the CD to recover space.

To answer your question, you would need an EX Connect for each drive that
you wanted to be connected at the same time. If you could work with one
drive then work with the other, you would only need one EZ Connect.

For the price of an internal drive that you are planing to use externally
and the EZ Connect, you can have a very nice external drive that will do the
trick better and cleaner. The trouble with this strategy is that you won't
have the EZ Connect for future projects.

From: Joe J. on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why don't you just buy a USB hard drive. You can get 320G drives at
> WalMart for $70.
>
> Why would you transfer CDs to a HDD, that seems backwards. Normally you
> move stuff from the HDD to the CD to recover space.
>
> To answer your question, you would need an EX Connect for each drive that
> you wanted to be connected at the same time. If you could work with one
> drive then work with the other, you would only need one EZ Connect.
>
> For the price of an internal drive that you are planing to use externally
> and the EZ Connect, you can have a very nice external drive that will do
> the trick better and cleaner. The trouble with this strategy is that you
> won't have the EZ Connect for future projects.
>

> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> Patience for the newbee please. I finally am going to transfer all my
>> photographs and CDs to computer. Someone in this group mentioned the EZ
>> Connect and this seems like it would be a cheap alternative to buying two
>> 300-400GB external HD. I would buy two internal HDs for about $50 each
>> and use the EZ connect. My computer is older with a smaller HDs so I was
>> thinking photos & CDs would be stored externally and use a second
>> external HD to back it up. When I say external HD, I'm refereeing to the
>> internal drives via EZ Connect and they would not be mounted in the
>> computer. Would I need two EZ connects kits in order to use both drives
>> at the same time. Transfer everything to the first drive and then just
>> make a backup to the second.
>> Any other alternatives to my plan are welcome. If it matters, I'm using
>> XP-Pro and don't want to switch to Win7 until absolutely necessary.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe

But then I would still need two USB drives. One for the data and one to
back it all up. The CDs are music CDs and I want to get rid of them after I
transfer them. I also want to eliminate about 10 photo albums but I want to
make sure everything is backed up.
Joe

From: sandy58 on
On Nov 26, 6:27 pm, "Joe J." <joe...(a)prodigy.net> wrote:
> Patience for the newbee please.  I finally am going to transfer all my
> photographs and CDs to computer.  Someone in this group mentioned the EZ
> Connect and this seems like it would be a cheap alternative to buying two
> 300-400GB external HD.  I would buy two internal HDs for about $50 each and
> use the EZ connect.  My computer is older with a smaller HDs so I was
> thinking photos & CDs would be stored externally and use a second external
> HD to back it up.  When I say external HD, I'm refereeing to the internal
> drives via EZ Connect and they would not be mounted in the computer. Would I
> need two EZ connects kits in order to use both drives at the same time.
> Transfer everything to the first drive and then just make a backup to the
> second.
> Any other alternatives to my plan are welcome.  If it matters, I'm using
> XP-Pro and don't want to switch to Win7 until absolutely necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Joe, photographs. Are they already digital ie: on cd/dvd/hard drive?
Or are you scanning them or taking them from a card reader? Not that
it matters much but you DID say that you were a newbie. No insult
intended. Jeff gave you the info that you need. Just another wee idea.
Instead of a USB hdd you could use a USB HDD external box. The
difference being...you can pop ANY hard drive (IDE or SATA) into the
box & do anything with any of them. The USB External HDD is more or
less permanently fixed in that "enclosure" as they like to call the
box it comes in so you would lose the option of using it for all. Just
a thought. The usb box is between £15 & £20 here. You do the math $ to
£. :-)
Good luck.
From: JD on
Joe J. wrote:

> But then I would still need two USB drives. One for the data and one to
> back it all up. The CDs are music CDs and I want to get rid of them after I
> transfer them. I also want to eliminate about 10 photo albums but I want to
> make sure everything is backed up.
> Joe

There Might be a legality problem if you get rid of your CD's once you
rip them. technically it is illegal to rip cd's, in the US you have fair
usage laws, in the uk the music industries said they would not prosecute
customers for ripping CD's that they own, if you no longer own the cd's
how can you prove that you have the right to rip them.

I'm not saying don't do this or don't do that, you can make your own
decision on what you want to do.

also if your pictures mean a lot to you I'd keep the originals digital
copies are far to easy to "lose" oh and a good idea for backing up your
pictures is to use one of those on-line picture sites like "flickr" if
you don't want to share them make the profile/account private.

if you want to use hard drives as storage, I'd recomend a Sharkoon Quick
Port pro:
http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/docking_stations/quickport_combo/index_en.html

I have one of these they are very good, esp if you fix computers and
need to get data off them. or use HDD's as storage.

I have something similar to the EZ connect, these are good for in the
toolbox/quick fix type scenario's the Quick port pro is a better
permanent solution.

JD
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3