From: James D. Andrews on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm not sure I carried the decimal point correctly, but if I did, a 320G
> drive will hold 500 CDs.

How many of the mini CDs will it hold? :)

From: James D. Andrews on

> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> Patience for the newbee please. I finally am going to transfer all my
>> photographs and CDs to computer. Someone in this group mentioned the EZ
>> Connect and this seems like it would be a cheap alternative to buying two
>> 300-400GB external HD. I would buy two internal HDs for about $50 each
>> and use the EZ connect. My computer is older with a smaller HDs so I was
>> thinking photos & CDs would be stored externally and use a second
>> external HD to back it up. When I say external HD, I'm refereeing to the
>> internal drives via EZ Connect and they would not be mounted in the
>> computer. Would I need two EZ connects kits in order to use both drives
>> at the same time. Transfer everything to the first drive and then just
>> make a backup to the second.
>> Any other alternatives to my plan are welcome. If it matters, I'm using
>> XP-Pro and don't want to switch to Win7 until absolutely necessary.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe
>
> The EZ Connect will do the job, however inellegant it might be, but I use
> mine for diagnostic and recovery tasks. I think your project would be
> better served by the use of USB drives that are designed for the
> application you have in mind.
>
> Your proposed use of an unmounted internal drive as an extgernal drive is
> inherently risky, especially if your goal is to have a drive to hold music
> that you intend to listen to.
>
> Will your idea work? Yes, it will.
>
> But they actually make the proper drive that is encased and protected for
> precisely the use you intend, and is robust enough for what you are doing.
>
> I'd not leverage the EZ Connect in the manner you intend. It will work,
> that's for certain. But the exposed internal drive used externally is
> exposed unnecessarily to stuff that can short it out, and the cables
> needed by the EZ Connect will make using the internal drives externally a
> very clunky proposition.
>
> As a diagnostic and recovery tool, the EZ Connect is tough to beat, as a
> converter to make an internal drive work externally, it's probably not the
> right tool.
>
> As I write this post, I'm pulling files from a HDD that came out of a
> laptop where the Power Supply connection broke off. The internal drive is
> resting on the bench while I pull files. Since the drive is from a laptop,
> the EZ Connect can operate it from the power that comes out of the USB
> port on my computer, this removes the need for the EZ Connect's power
> supply to drive the HDD. The HDD has exposed circuits that would be
> damaged over time if the drive was used regularly to play music.
>
> I cannot recommend the use of the EZ Connect to make an internal drive
> operate externally for more than recovering files.

Really got to go along with Jeff on this, Joe.
I recently started using a Rosewill version of the EZ Connect. It's a
fantastic tool for diagnosis and recovery, but not intended to function as a
secondary drive. Cords hanging about that could come lose over time, the
hard drive exposed.

You're best bet is an external hard drive and/or an additional internal
drive of larger size.

The EZ Connect is a good way to transfer files to a new HD before
installation, though.

From: Jeff Strickland on

"James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>> I'm not sure I carried the decimal point correctly, but if I did, a 320G
>> drive will hold 500 CDs.
>>

> How many of the mini CDs will it hold? :)

What's the capacity of the mini's. Divide the USB capacity by the mini
capacity and the result is the number of minis that fit on the USB drive.

I assumed a CD capacity of 650M, so I divided 320,000 by 650. ((320M x 1000)
/ 650M = 492 and change. I rounded up to 500.)

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Norton Ghost help-Follow-up
Next: Happy Thanksgiving