From: SMS on
On 21/03/10 11:14 AM, Val Hallah wrote:

>> Wildlife photography is especially poorly suited to P&S cameras, unless
>> you can convince the wildlife to come _really_ close to you!
>
> or you own an Olympus sp590uz....soon to be sp800uz

Another super-zoom P&S that looks great on paper but falls short in
terms of image quality. A lens that's a big compromise with a sensor
that's far too small for the number of pixels. Still, it's probably the
best of the super-zooms.

The SP-800 looks to be a disaster. Too many pixels for the sensor, no
EVF, and a stupid long lens.
From: Mike Russell on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:26:16 -0500, ROFLMAO! wrote:

> Here's what a quick & ready P&S camera can do ......
>
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4451379882_847b199042_o.jpg
>
> Really, you fuckin' retard snapshooters without a prayer or a clue, give it
> a rest already. I'll beat you at the camera and pro-photographer game at
> every turn. 100% guaranteed!

This is a composite of several bird images, taken from different angles
that do not match up in the final image. It's not a bad effect, and it is
interesting enough to be a commercially saleable image, but it does not
resemble an original image.

Do you have a reasonably good P&S bird image to show?
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Val Hallah on
On Mar 21, 8:53 pm, DanP <dan.pe...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Mar, 18:14, Val Hallah <michaelnewp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 19, 2:48 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Bruce wrote:
>
> > > <snip>

> > > Panasonic is in a desperate situation. Sales P&S cameras have leveled
> > > off and all the growth is in D-SLRs because consumers have become more
> > > aware of the advantages of D-SLRs. Panasonic has no D-SLRs. So all
> > > Panasonic can do is to create commercials that try to mislead consumers.
> > > Very sad. Looks like they found one victim in our favorite troll.
>
> > > Wildlife photography is especially poorly suited to P&S cameras, unless
> > > you can convince the wildlife to come _really_ close to you!
>
> > or you own an Olympus sp590uz....soon to be sp800uz
>
> Made me curious and I have found this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinet/97834921/sizes/o/
>
> 30x zoom and 10 fps are nice if you don't care for noise and CA.
> The bigger the zoom range the worse CA will be, especially at the end
> of zoom range.
>
> DanP

.....I only see 1 frame....
From: DanP on
On 22 Mar, 05:24, Mike Russell <group...(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:

What is the point arguing with him? He will never post an honest photo
with EXIF data.

DanP
From: Mike Russell on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 05:44:38 -0700 (PDT), DanP wrote:

> On 22 Mar, 05:24, Mike Russell <group...(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:
>
> What is the point arguing with him? He will never post an honest photo
> with EXIF data.
>
> DanP

Actually, I'm not arguing with him - he's blocked. I pity the people who
don't have this choice, and must be around him on a daily basis. Can you
imagine? LOL.

Regarding the egret composite, I've been wrong in the past, but this image
is so obviously a composite it's probably not worth discussing. If anyone
wants, I will post a list of mistakes that were made in creating what I
still consider a rather attractive final result.

The funny thing is, I agree with what's-his-face's point that SLR's will
*eventually* be supplanted by high quality non-reflex cameras, EVIL and the
next generation of integrated lens/sensor cameras. At the same time I
respect people who create excellent photographs, whatever camera they may
use.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com