From: SMS on
Bruce wrote:

<snip>

>> Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to use a
>> DSLR, and you are the perfect victim.
>

> Exactly so.
>
> And could this be the same Panasonic company that actively markets
> Micro Four Thirds cameras and interchangeable lenses as an *upgrade*
> from point and shoot digicams? Of course it could!

Panasonic is in a desperate situation. Sales P&S cameras have leveled
off and all the growth is in D-SLRs because consumers have become more
aware of the advantages of D-SLRs. Panasonic has no D-SLRs. So all
Panasonic can do is to create commercials that try to mislead consumers.
Very sad. Looks like they found one victim in our favorite troll.

Wildlife photography is especially poorly suited to P&S cameras, unless
you can convince the wildlife to come _really_ close to you! However IS,
on both P&S cameras and D-SLR lenses (though not so much IS on D-SLR
bodies) has made it more practical to leave the tripod home. If you ever
go to places like Denali or Yellowstone, where you need a very long zoom
lens for good wildlife shots, it's at least possible to get them
without a tripod, though of course a tripod is less expensive than IS.

The pro wildlife photographers I've seen are very fast. The equipment is
all set up on the tripod, and they carry the whole set-up with them and
there is no fumbling.

Looks like our favorite troll created another situation that doesn't
exist, with a solution that is sub-standard.
From: LOL! on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:48:51 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>> Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to use a
>>> DSLR, and you are the perfect victim.
>>

>> Exactly so.
>>
>> And could this be the same Panasonic company that actively markets
>> Micro Four Thirds cameras and interchangeable lenses as an *upgrade*
>> from point and shoot digicams? Of course it could!
>
>Panasonic is in a desperate situation. Sales P&S cameras have leveled
>off and all the growth is in D-SLRs because consumers have become more
>aware of the advantages of D-SLRs. Panasonic has no D-SLRs. So all
>Panasonic can do is to create commercials that try to mislead consumers.
>Very sad. Looks like they found one victim in our favorite troll.
>
>Wildlife photography is especially poorly suited to P&S cameras, unless
>you can convince the wildlife to come _really_ close to you! However IS,
>on both P&S cameras and D-SLR lenses (though not so much IS on D-SLR
>bodies) has made it more practical to leave the tripod home. If you ever
>go to places like Denali or Yellowstone, where you need a very long zoom
> lens for good wildlife shots, it's at least possible to get them
>without a tripod, though of course a tripod is less expensive than IS.
>
>The pro wildlife photographers I've seen are very fast. The equipment is
>all set up on the tripod, and they carry the whole set-up with them and
>there is no fumbling.
>
>Looks like our favorite troll created another situation that doesn't
>exist, with a solution that is sub-standard.

These "wildlife photographers" you've seen, are they anything like the
computer controlled geyser that you helped to install in Yellowstone
National Park?

<http://www.wifi-forum.com/wf/showpost.php?p=448381&postcount=101>

LOL!!!!!!!!

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-20 18:54:43 -0700, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> said:

> "LOL!" <lol(a)lol.org> wrote in message

> Then you should stop trying to pass someone else's DSLR shots off as your
> own P&S shots.
>
> See? Problem solved. Simple.

Don't feed the troll.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Val Hallah on
On Mar 19, 2:48 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to use a
> >> DSLR, and you are the perfect victim.
>
> > Exactly so.
>
> > And could this be the same Panasonic company that actively markets
> > Micro Four Thirds cameras and interchangeable lenses as an *upgrade*
> > from point and shoot digicams?   Of course it could!
>
> Panasonic is in a desperate situation. Sales P&S cameras have leveled
> off and all the growth is in D-SLRs because consumers have become more
> aware of the advantages of D-SLRs. Panasonic has no D-SLRs. So all
> Panasonic can do is to create commercials that try to mislead consumers.
> Very sad. Looks like they found one victim in our favorite troll.
>
> Wildlife photography is especially poorly suited to P&S cameras, unless
> you can convince the wildlife to come _really_ close to you!

or you own an Olympus sp590uz....soon to be sp800uz
From: DanP on
On 21 Mar, 18:14, Val Hallah <michaelnewp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2:48 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Bruce wrote:
>
> > <snip>

> > > Exactly so.
>
> > > And could this be the same Panasonic company that actively markets
> > > Micro Four Thirds cameras and interchangeable lenses as an *upgrade*
> > > from point and shoot digicams?   Of course it could!
>
> > Panasonic is in a desperate situation. Sales P&S cameras have leveled
> > off and all the growth is in D-SLRs because consumers have become more
> > aware of the advantages of D-SLRs. Panasonic has no D-SLRs. So all
> > Panasonic can do is to create commercials that try to mislead consumers..
> > Very sad. Looks like they found one victim in our favorite troll.
>
> > Wildlife photography is especially poorly suited to P&S cameras, unless
> > you can convince the wildlife to come _really_ close to you!
>
> or you own an Olympus sp590uz....soon to be sp800uz

Made me curious and I have found this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinet/97834921/sizes/o/

30x zoom and 10 fps are nice if you don't care for noise and CA.
The bigger the zoom range the worse CA will be, especially at the end
of zoom range.

DanP