From: Mike on
I've created a new Solaris 10 whole root zone twice now. Each time it
appears to create the zone normally and it boots up, but when I run
zconsole -C zone, I'm presented with a login prompt. I can login as
root (without a password) and I get to a very bare system. Why won't
it run the normal Solaris installation script where I can enter the
hostname, time-zone, and other settings? I tried sys-unconfig but
that only rebooted to the same state as I started with!?

-Mike

From: Sami Ketola on
Mike <mike.diggins(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created a new Solaris 10 whole root zone twice now. Each time it
> appears to create the zone normally and it boots up, but when I run
> zconsole -C zone, I'm presented with a login prompt. I can login as

which solaris release is this? There is no zconsole on my Solaris 10 U8
system. After configuring and installing the zone boot it up with
zoneadm -z zonename boot and login to the console with zlogin -C zonename.

Then you should be able to give the zone it's initial configuration.

Sami

From: webjuan on
On May 8, 7:29 pm, Mike <mike.digg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created a new Solaris 10 whole root zone twice now. Each time it
> appears to create the zone normally and it boots up, but when I run
> zconsole -C zone, I'm presented with a login prompt. I can login as
> root (without a password) and I get to a very bare system. Why won't
> it run the normal Solaris installation script where I can enter the
> hostname, time-zone,  and other settings? I tried sys-unconfig but
> that only rebooted to the same state as I started with!?
>
> -Mike

Assuming you meant "zlogin -C zonename" like the previous poster
indicated, ensure your system isn't adding a "/etc/sysidcfg" via some
automated fashion. Normally, the file doesn't exist in a new zone
which is why you are asked to configure the zone at first boot.

juan martinez
From: Mike on
On May 10, 10:36 pm, webjuan <webj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 7:29 pm, Mike <mike.digg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've created a new Solaris 10 whole root zone twice now. Each time it
> > appears to create the zone normally and it boots up, but when I run
> > zconsole -C zone, I'm presented with a login prompt. I can login as
> > root (without a password) and I get to a very bare system. Why won't
> > it run the normal Solaris installation script where I can enter the
> > hostname, time-zone,  and other settings? I tried sys-unconfig but
> > that only rebooted to the same state as I started with!?
>
> > -Mike
>
> Assuming you meant "zlogin -C zonename" like the previous poster
> indicated, ensure your system isn't adding a "/etc/sysidcfg" via some
> automated fashion.  Normally, the file doesn't exist in a new zone
> which is why you are asked to configure the zone at first boot.
>
> juan martinez

I did mean zlogin, not zconsole, sorry. I'm still stuck though. I
deleted and added the new zone again. Transcript below. No default
sysidcfg after the build, but it still won't run the installer. The
Solaris 10 version is 3/05, but I did just install the big Recommended
patch cluster on the global zone. Prior to that, I had installed two
other zones on the same system, both of which ran the installer on
first boot!

me(a)redhat1<~># ls /zones_2/
lost+found/
me(a)redhat1<~># mkdir /zones_2/myzone
me(a)redhat1<~># chmod 700 /zones_2/myzone/

me(a)redhat1<~># zonecfg -z myzone
myzone: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:myzone> create
zonecfg:myzone> set zonepath=/zones_2/myzone
zonecfg:myzone> add net
zonecfg:myzone:net> set address=192.168.2.2
zonecfg:myzone:net> set physical=bge0
zonecfg:myzone:net> end
zonecfg:myzone> set autoboot=true
zonecfg:myzone> info
zonename: myzone
zonepath: /zones_2/myzone
brand: native
autoboot: true
bootargs:
pool:
limitpriv:
scheduling-class:
ip-type: shared
inherit-pkg-dir:
dir: /lib
inherit-pkg-dir:
dir: /platform
inherit-pkg-dir:
dir: /sbin
inherit-pkg-dir:
dir: /usr
net:
address: 192.168.2.2
physical: bge0
defrouter not specified
zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/lib
zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/platform
zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/sbin
zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/usr
zonecfg:myzone> info
zonename: myzone
zonepath: /zones_2/myzone
brand: native
autoboot: true
bootargs:
pool:
limitpriv:
scheduling-class:
ip-type: shared
net:
address: 192.168.2.2
physical: bge0
defrouter not specified
zonecfg:myzone> verify
zonecfg:myzone> commit
zonecfg:myzone> exit

me(a)redhat1<~># zoneadm -z myzone install
Preparing to install zone <myzone>.
Creating list of files to copy from the global zone.
Copying <130514> files to the zone.
Initializing zone product registry.
Determining zone package initialization order.
Preparing to initialize <1042> packages on the zone.
Initialized <1042> packages on zone.
Zone <myzone> is initialized.
Installation of <1> packages was skipped.
Installation of these packages generated warnings: <SUNWgnome-base-
libs-root>
The file </zones_2/myzone/root/var/sadm/system/logs/install_log>
contains a log of the zone installation.

me(a)redhat1<~># cd /zones_2/myzone/
me(a)redhat1</zones_2/myzone># ls
root/
me(a)redhat1</zones_2/myzone># cd root
me(a)redhat1<myzone/root># cd etc
me(a)redhat1<root/etc># ls -ltr sysidcfg
/usr/local/bin/ls: sysidcfg: No such file or directory
me(a)redhat1<root/etc># cd /

me(a)redhat1</># zoneadm -z myzone boot

me(a)redhat1</># zlogin -C myzone
[Connected to zone 'myzone' console]
136/136
Reading ZFS config: done.

myzone console login:
myzone console login: root
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005
#

and from the install-log, the only failure was this one!

*** package <SUNWgnome-base-libs-root> installed with warnings:

pkgadd: ERROR: source path </var/sadm/pkg/SUNWgnome-base-libs-root/
save/pspool/SUNWgnome-base-libs-root/reloc/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
> is corrupt
file size <182> expected <335> actual
pkgadd: ERROR: source path </var/sadm/pkg/SUNWgnome-base-libs-root/
save/pspool/SUNWgnome-base-libs-root/reloc/etc/sparcv9/gtk-2.0/gtk.i
mmodules> is corrupt
file size <190> expected <351> actual
ERROR: attribute verification of </zones_2/webdns/root/etc/gtk-2.0/
gtk.immodules> failed
pathname does not exist
ERROR: attribute verification of </zones_2/webdns/root/etc/sparcv9/
gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules> failed
pathname does not exist

Installation of <SUNWgnome-base-libs-root> on zone <webdns> partially
failed.

From: webjuan on
On May 11, 2:38 pm, Mike <mike.digg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 10, 10:36 pm, webjuan <webj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 8, 7:29 pm, Mike <mike.digg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I've created a new Solaris 10 whole root zone twice now. Each time it
> > > appears to create the zone normally and it boots up, but when I run
> > > zconsole -C zone, I'm presented with a login prompt. I can login as
> > > root (without a password) and I get to a very bare system. Why won't
> > > it run the normal Solaris installation script where I can enter the
> > > hostname, time-zone,  and other settings? I tried sys-unconfig but
> > > that only rebooted to the same state as I started with!?
>
> > > -Mike
>
> > Assuming you meant "zlogin -C zonename" like the previous poster
> > indicated, ensure your system isn't adding a "/etc/sysidcfg" via some
> > automated fashion.  Normally, the file doesn't exist in a new zone
> > which is why you are asked to configure the zone at first boot.
>
> > juan martinez
>
> I did mean zlogin, not zconsole, sorry. I'm still stuck though. I
> deleted and added the new zone again. Transcript below. No default
> sysidcfg after the build, but it still won't run the installer. The
> Solaris 10 version is 3/05, but I did just install the big Recommended
> patch cluster on the global zone. Prior to that, I had installed two
> other zones on the same system, both of which ran the installer on
> first boot!
>
> me(a)redhat1<~># ls /zones_2/
> lost+found/
> me(a)redhat1<~># mkdir /zones_2/myzone
> me(a)redhat1<~># chmod 700 /zones_2/myzone/
>
> me(a)redhat1<~># zonecfg -z myzone
> myzone: No such zone configured
> Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
> zonecfg:myzone> create

OK, you selected to create a "sparse zone".

> zonecfg:myzone> set zonepath=/zones_2/myzone
> zonecfg:myzone> add net
> zonecfg:myzone:net> set address=192.168.2.2
> zonecfg:myzone:net> set physical=bge0
> zonecfg:myzone:net> end
> zonecfg:myzone> set autoboot=true
> zonecfg:myzone> info
> zonename: myzone
> zonepath: /zones_2/myzone
> brand: native
> autoboot: true
> bootargs:
> pool:
> limitpriv:
> scheduling-class:
> ip-type: shared
> inherit-pkg-dir:
>         dir: /lib
> inherit-pkg-dir:
>         dir: /platform
> inherit-pkg-dir:
>         dir: /sbin
> inherit-pkg-dir:
>         dir: /usr
> net:
>         address: 192.168.2.2
>         physical: bge0
>         defrouter not specified

looks like you just created a sparse zone, so far so good.

> zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/lib
> zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/platform
> zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/sbin
> zonecfg:myzone> remove inherit-pkg-dir dir=/usr

looks like you just removed the inherit package directories that a
sparse zone would normally have.

> zonecfg:myzone> info
> zonename: myzone
> zonepath: /zones_2/myzone
> brand: native
> autoboot: true
> bootargs:
> pool:
> limitpriv:
> scheduling-class:
> ip-type: shared
> net:
>         address: 192.168.2.2
>         physical: bge0
>         defrouter not specified
> zonecfg:myzone> verify
> zonecfg:myzone> commit
> zonecfg:myzone> exit

Question, are you attempting to created a whole root or a sparse root
zone? If you want create a whole root zone, you will need to specify
the "create -b" option when creating the zone. Creating a "sparse
zone" then removing the inherit-pkg-dir properties doesnt sound like
it would work. I would use the "create -b" as the initial option and
see if that fixes the issue.