From: Pat Conover on
Hi,

Looking for a new system for a friend, and I have not ordered a new Dell in
some time. I am not up to date on all the latest and greatest... He said
he wants a good machine, with some gaming capabilities, so far looks like a
good system for that is the XPS 8100. Not the fastest, but the cheapest of
the faster machines. It does come with Win 7 64-bit, and I wonder about
compatibility with other printers, software, etc he already owns. Nothing
worse than buying a new machine, then having to buy all new peripherals and
software because you also bought the latest OS.

Specs on the "on sale" XPS 8100 shown below, about $1,143 delivered as
shown. This is from the Dell Home site, which I hear does not include the
OS and driver disks anymore, but the Small Business site does. The OS and
driver disks was one reason I always bought Dells...

Any suggestions or alternatives greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Studio XPS 8100

Date 6/1/2010 1:10:17 PM Central Standard Time

Catalog Number 29 Retail 19

Catalog Number / Description Product Code Qty SKU Id

Processors: Intel� CoreT i7-860 processor (8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)

Operating System: Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, English

Hardware Support Services:

2 Year Basic Service Plan

Memory: 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs

Monitor: 21.5" Dell ST2210 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable

Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3

Hard Drive: 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Speakers: Dell AY511 Attached Speaker w/ 5.1 Surround for Dell Monitors

Wireless: Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna

Keyboard: Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard

Mouse: Dell Studio Optical Mouse

Sound: THX� TruStudio PCT THX

Studio XPS 8100:

Studio XPS 8100

Adobe Software: Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 9.0 Multi-Language

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed): Microsoft� Office Starter 2010

Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months

Datasafe: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

From: Pen on
On 6/1/2010 2:30 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking for a new system for a friend, and I have not ordered a new Dell in
> some time. I am not up to date on all the latest and greatest... He said
> he wants a good machine, with some gaming capabilities, so far looks like a
> good system for that is the XPS 8100. Not the fastest, but the cheapest of
> the faster machines. It does come with Win 7 64-bit, and I wonder about
> compatibility with other printers, software, etc he already owns. Nothing
> worse than buying a new machine, then having to buy all new peripherals and
> software because you also bought the latest OS.
>
> Specs on the "on sale" XPS 8100 shown below, about $1,143 delivered as
> shown. This is from the Dell Home site, which I hear does not include the
> OS and driver disks anymore, but the Small Business site does. The OS and
> driver disks was one reason I always bought Dells...
>
> Any suggestions or alternatives greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Pat
>
> Studio XPS 8100
>
> Date 6/1/2010 1:10:17 PM Central Standard Time
>
> Catalog Number 29 Retail 19
>
> Catalog Number / Description Product Code Qty SKU Id
>
> Processors: Intel® CoreT i7-860 processor (8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
>
> Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, English
>
> Hardware Support Services:
>
> 2 Year Basic Service Plan
>
> Memory: 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
>
> Monitor: 21.5" Dell ST2210 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable
>
> Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3
>
> Hard Drive: 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
>
> Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
>
> Speakers: Dell AY511 Attached Speaker w/ 5.1 Surround for Dell Monitors
>
> Wireless: Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna
>
> Keyboard: Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
>
> Mouse: Dell Studio Optical Mouse
>
> Sound: THX® TruStudio PCT THX
>
> Studio XPS 8100:
>
> Studio XPS 8100
>
> Adobe Software: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
>
> Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed): Microsoft® Office Starter 2010
>
> Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
>
> Datasafe: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Before you buy 64 Bit Win 7 have him check if drivers for it
are available for his printers and any other hardware
attached to his present system. 32 bit programs are not a
problem, but 16 bit ones are; they won't run except in a
virtual machine. Many older hardware will not work because
the makers haven't written drivers for them, it is a common
post in the win 7 forums, why doesn't my xxxxx work.

From: Daddy on
Pat Conover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking for a new system for a friend, and I have not ordered a new Dell in
> some time. I am not up to date on all the latest and greatest... He said
> he wants a good machine, with some gaming capabilities, so far looks like a
> good system for that is the XPS 8100. Not the fastest, but the cheapest of
> the faster machines. It does come with Win 7 64-bit, and I wonder about
> compatibility with other printers, software, etc he already owns. Nothing
> worse than buying a new machine, then having to buy all new peripherals and
> software because you also bought the latest OS.
>
> Specs on the "on sale" XPS 8100 shown below, about $1,143 delivered as
> shown. This is from the Dell Home site, which I hear does not include the
> OS and driver disks anymore, but the Small Business site does. The OS and
> driver disks was one reason I always bought Dells...
>
> Any suggestions or alternatives greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Pat
>
> Studio XPS 8100
>
> Date 6/1/2010 1:10:17 PM Central Standard Time
>
> Catalog Number 29 Retail 19
>
> Catalog Number / Description Product Code Qty SKU Id
>
> Processors: Intel� CoreT i7-860 processor (8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
>
> Operating System: Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, English
>
> Hardware Support Services:
>
> 2 Year Basic Service Plan
>
> Memory: 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
>
> Monitor: 21.5" Dell ST2210 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable
>
> Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3
>
> Hard Drive: 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
>
> Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
>
> Speakers: Dell AY511 Attached Speaker w/ 5.1 Surround for Dell Monitors
>
> Wireless: Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna
>
> Keyboard: Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
>
> Mouse: Dell Studio Optical Mouse
>
> Sound: THX� TruStudio PCT THX
>
> Studio XPS 8100:
>
> Studio XPS 8100
>
> Adobe Software: Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
>
> Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed): Microsoft� Office Starter 2010
>
> Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
>
> Datasafe: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

"...a good machine, with some gaming capabilities..."

That describes 90% of the computers available from Dell. It's like
asking for:

"...a good car, with some performance capabilities..."

Nobody can offer a recommendation that will make your friend happy based
on that information. You need to understand much more about how your
friend plans to use their computer. Comparing specifications in a vacuum
is silly.

Daddy
From: Pat Conover on
"Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Pat Conover wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking for a new system for a friend, and I have not ordered a new Dell
>> in some time. I am not up to date on all the latest and greatest... He
>> said he wants a good machine, with some gaming capabilities, so far looks
>> like a good system for that is the XPS 8100. Not the fastest, but the
>> cheapest of the faster machines. It does come with Win 7 64-bit, and I
>> wonder about compatibility with other printers, software, etc he already
>> owns. Nothing worse than buying a new machine, then having to buy all
>> new peripherals and software because you also bought the latest OS.
>>
>> Specs on the "on sale" XPS 8100 shown below, about $1,143 delivered as
>> shown. This is from the Dell Home site, which I hear does not include
>> the OS and driver disks anymore, but the Small Business site does. The
>> OS and driver disks was one reason I always bought Dells...
>>
>> Any suggestions or alternatives greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Pat
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100
>>
>> Date 6/1/2010 1:10:17 PM Central Standard Time
>>
>> Catalog Number 29 Retail 19
>>
>> Catalog Number / Description Product Code Qty SKU Id
>>
>> Processors: Intel� CoreT i7-860 processor (8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
>>
>> Operating System: Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, English
>>
>> Hardware Support Services:
>>
>> 2 Year Basic Service Plan
>>
>> Memory: 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
>>
>> Monitor: 21.5" Dell ST2210 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable
>>
>> Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3
>>
>> Hard Drive: 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
>>
>> Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
>>
>> Speakers: Dell AY511 Attached Speaker w/ 5.1 Surround for Dell Monitors
>>
>> Wireless: Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna
>>
>> Keyboard: Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
>>
>> Mouse: Dell Studio Optical Mouse
>>
>> Sound: THX� TruStudio PCT THX
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100:
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100
>>
>> Adobe Software: Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
>>
>> Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed): Microsoft� Office Starter
>> 2010
>>
>> Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
>>
>> Datasafe: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
>>

> "...a good machine, with some gaming capabilities..."
>
> That describes 90% of the computers available from Dell. It's like asking
> for:
>
> "...a good car, with some performance capabilities..."
>
> Nobody can offer a recommendation that will make your friend happy based
> on that information. You need to understand much more about how your
> friend plans to use their computer. Comparing specifications in a vacuum
> is silly.
>
> Daddy

Any suggestions on the above configuration? Pat

From: Tony Harding on
On 06/01/10 15:21, Pen wrote:
> On 6/1/2010 2:30 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking for a new system for a friend, and I have not ordered a new Dell in
>> some time. I am not up to date on all the latest and greatest... He said
>> he wants a good machine, with some gaming capabilities, so far looks like a
>> good system for that is the XPS 8100. Not the fastest, but the cheapest of
>> the faster machines. It does come with Win 7 64-bit, and I wonder about
>> compatibility with other printers, software, etc he already owns. Nothing
>> worse than buying a new machine, then having to buy all new peripherals and
>> software because you also bought the latest OS.
>>
>> Specs on the "on sale" XPS 8100 shown below, about $1,143 delivered as
>> shown. This is from the Dell Home site, which I hear does not include the
>> OS and driver disks anymore, but the Small Business site does. The OS and
>> driver disks was one reason I always bought Dells...
>>
>> Any suggestions or alternatives greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Pat
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100
>>
>> Date 6/1/2010 1:10:17 PM Central Standard Time
>>
>> Catalog Number 29 Retail 19
>>
>> Catalog Number / Description Product Code Qty SKU Id
>>
>> Processors: Intel� CoreT i7-860 processor (8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
>>
>> Operating System: Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, English
>>
>> Hardware Support Services:
>>
>> 2 Year Basic Service Plan
>>
>> Memory: 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
>>
>> Monitor: 21.5" Dell ST2210 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable
>>
>> Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3
>>
>> Hard Drive: 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
>>
>> Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
>>
>> Speakers: Dell AY511 Attached Speaker w/ 5.1 Surround for Dell Monitors
>>
>> Wireless: Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card& external antenna
>>
>> Keyboard: Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
>>
>> Mouse: Dell Studio Optical Mouse
>>
>> Sound: THX� TruStudio PCT THX
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100:
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100
>>
>> Adobe Software: Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
>>
>> Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed): Microsoft� Office Starter 2010
>>
>> Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
>>
>> Datasafe: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
>>

> Before you buy 64 Bit Win 7 have him check if drivers for it
> are available for his printers and any other hardware
> attached to his present system. 32 bit programs are not a
> problem, but 16 bit ones are; they won't run except in a
> virtual machine. Many older hardware will not work because
> the makers haven't written drivers for them, it is a common
> post in the win 7 forums, why doesn't my xxxxx work.

True, but how old is his "old hardware"? I received a brand new XPS9000
of 12/31/09 with Win7 Home Prem, 64-bit, and it had drivers for my Epson
Color Stylus R300 (purchased 2/1/2004) & Brother MFC8840D All-in-One
(purchased 6/10/2005. I was surprised.