From: David Empson on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> > > The SSD option probably works like the Xserve, with a special mount
> > > position for a standard form factor 2.5" SSD, connected via SATA. (Apple
> > > might have used a proprietary variant and connectors, but I hope not.)
> > >
> > > The hard drive is a 3.5" mechanism. If you buy the custom build variant
> > > with SSD and no hard drive, the 3.5" drive bay will be empty.
> >
> > Apple don't actually say if the drives are 3.5" or not, all they state
> > is the SATA drives are 7200rpm. However the 2TB capacity does suggest
> > they're 3.5".
>
> That's guaranteed. Western Digital makes a 1 TB 2.5" drive (12mm) but it
> is only 5400 rpm. I haven't seen any others that capacity yet. Apple
> isn't supplying anything larger than 500 GB for laptops, presumably
> because they can only get them from one source.
>
> An interesting point with the entry level 21.5" iMac is that you can't
> customize its 500 GB hard drive. That might be a 2.5" mechanism, but I
> doubt it (for cost reasons).
>
> > TBH that surprises me - 2.5" drives would be slimmer,
> > lower power and the same rpm as the drives Apple's selling.
>
> iMacs have always used 3.5" mechanisms, so a change now doesn't seem
> likely.

Details now confirmed, thanks to an OWC teardown.

As I thought, the main hard drive is a 3.5" mechanism, and the SSD
option is a 2.5" mechanism.

You will NOT be able to add an aftermarket SSD easily, because it needs
special brackets that only come with the computer if you order it from
Apple with the SSD.

<http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/28/new-27-inch-imac-disassembled-after
market-ssd-install-deemed-difficult/>

.... with photo of the interior.