From: David Mark on
On Dec 21, 9:47 am, Hans-Georg Michna <hans-
georgNoEmailPle...(a)michna.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:07:21 GMT, rf wrote:
> >"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPle...(a)michna.com> wrote in message
> >> Shorter, nicer-looking, easier-to-understand code perhaps?
>
> >> I must admit that I like jQuery's functional notation very much.
> >> I wish I had a version of jQuery that also worked perfectly
> >> under the hood.

I told you where to find something similar. It's even got a $ if you
really want that. ;)

> >So why don't you write your own scripting language?
>
> Have to make a living. (:-)

With jQuery? That cycle is at the end.

> >> Haven't had any problems with jQuery yet, but that may be
> >> because I didn't do very deep things with it and didn't test
> >> with many older browsers.
> >Or many newer ones.
>
> OK, I haven't done any very thorough tests.

No question. So what makes you think it is free of problems? It
doesn't get much more shallow than reading an attribute or property
value. ;)

> The critical point here is that many people feel a need for
> something like jQuery, and not all of them understand all the
> implications.

Most, if not all, as once you uncover the basic ramifications, you
stop using it (and all things like it).
From: Matt Kruse on
On Dec 21, 12:25 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>  ;)
>  ;)

Your weekly quota for smileys has already been exceeded.

Please try again next week. Thank you.

Matt Kruse
From: John G Harris on
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 at 10:59:50, in comp.lang.javascript, Hans-Georg
Michna wrote:

<snip>
>Haven't had any problems with jQuery yet, but that may be
>because I didn't do very deep things with it and didn't test
>with many older browsers.

I go to the Dilbert home page every day. Sometimes it stops with just
the banner ad showing and reports a javascript error. Not Good. Is it a
coincidence that they're using JQuery and I'm using IE8 ?

John
--
John Harris
From: David Mark on
On Dec 21, 2:47 pm, John G Harris <j...(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 at 10:59:50, in comp.lang.javascript, Hans-Georg
>
> Michna wrote:
>
>   <snip>
>
> >Haven't had any problems with jQuery yet, but that may be
> >because I didn't do very deep things with it and didn't test
> >with many older browsers.
>
> I go to the Dilbert home page every day. Sometimes it stops with just
> the banner ad showing and reports a javascript error. Not Good. Is it a
> coincidence that they're using JQuery and I'm using IE8 ?

Sounds suspicious. :) What happens if you click the compatibility
mode button (or perhaps this page does it for you?) I typically find
sites using jQuery that appear to work in IE8 proper, but blow up in
compatibility mode. That tells me they were "tested" in IE8, but not
IE < 8. Not a promising sign at all. ;)

From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2:47 pm, John G Harris <j...(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 at 10:59:50, in comp.lang.javascript, Hans-Georg
>>
>> Michna wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

[...]
> Sounds suspicious. :) What happens if you click the compatibility
> mode button (or perhaps this page does it for you?) I typically find
> sites using jQuery that appear to work in IE8 proper, but blow up in
> compatibility mode. That tells me they were "tested" in IE8, but not
> IE < 8. Not a promising sign at all. ;)

That compatibility button seems like a big mistake from the start.
--
Garrett