From: me on
"Sucky_Programmer" <myspywarehelp(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> The book I am using for my class is "COBOL: From Micro to Mainframe
> (3rd Edition)." A lot of people didn't seem to like the book
> according to the Amazon.com review.

My fees are �45 per hour, send the money via Paypal

From: Anonymous on
In article <8c6tf3Fa3vU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>2. Has the person really given it a shot or is Doc's boilerplate "Do your
>own homework" response a fair one?

And if the boilerplate of 'do your own homework'is shown to be unfair...
such is life, an apology is offered and things are made to move onwards
from there. As my Sainted Paternal Grandfather - may he sleep with the
angels! - used to say, 'Anyone who told you 'Life is Fair'... lied.'

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <4c5cbd5f$0$6096$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
Sucky_Programmer <myspywarehelp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>The book I am using for my class is "COBOL: From Micro to Mainframe
>(3rd Edition)."

Well that might be a problem in and of it'sself. The books is copyright
1998 and the subtitle is 'Preparing for the New Millennium'; the New
Millennium got here nigh a decade back and the book might be past its
sell-by date.

>A lot of people didn't seem to like the book
>according to the Amazon.com review.
>
>What is the difference between A margin and B margin?

Are you familiar with the web-sites that look for things for you? They
are called 'search engines' and can, at time, provide useful tidbits which
lead to even more useful learning. If you direct your web browser to
http://www.altavista.com (a search-engine beloved of programmers) and
enter the question 'What is the difference between A margin and B margin
in COBOL' the first entry leads to
http://users.erols.com/pgrocer/Cis12/cobollan.html .

Now... please do your own homework.

DD
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 02:53:41 GMT, spambait(a)milmac.com (Doug Miller)
wrote:

>>Also I notice when some programs declare PIC it does 9(3) instead of
>>999. Does it matter?
>
>No, except to the extent that it's easier to type 999 than 9(3).

On the other hand, it is easy to see and verify lengths when all
fields are written with the size.

That works better with alphanumeric fields that don't have decimal
points.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 03:20:21 -0500, Arnold Trembley
<arnold.trembley(a)att.net> wrote:

>COBOL source code was originally written on 80 column punch cards, and
>is still frequently coded in fixed-length records 80 bytes long. The A
>margin begins in column 8 and the B margin begins in column 12. Certain
>COBOL reserved words must begin in in the A margin, while most are
>reserved words are supposed to appear in the B margin.

There are some compilers that allow modification of these rules. (Vax,
for one).

- James Madison