From: Mladen Gogala on
Oracle 11.1.0.7 has some undocumented new parameters. I was unable to
find anything on Metalink or Google. The parameters are:

cell_offload_compaction
cell_offload_parameters
cell_offload_plan_display
cell_partition_large_extents

Is there anybody who knows what these parameters are about? It looks
like a brand new mechanism, possibly for handling NUMA or, maybe, MODEL
clause and analytic functions? These are wild guesses, I have no clue
about the true nature of the parameters.

There is also a new parameter "DB_ULTRA_SAFE" which deals with
corruptions. It is a synthetic parameter which combines the previously
known parameters DB_BLOCK_CHECKING, DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM, and
DB_LOST_WRITE_PROTECT. I imagine that this parameter can have quite
a visible effect on performance.The parameter is described in the
note 465130.1 on Metalink.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: hpuxrac on
On Sep 26, 7:43 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle 11.1.0.7 has some undocumented new parameters. I was unable to
> find anything on Metalink or Google. The parameters are:
>
> cell_offload_compaction
> cell_offload_parameters
> cell_offload_plan_display
> cell_partition_large_extents
>
> Is there anybody who knows what these parameters are about? It looks
> like a brand new mechanism, possibly for handling NUMA or, maybe, MODEL
> clause and analytic functions? These are wild guesses, I have no clue
> about the true nature of the parameters.

A wild shot in the dark might make say perhaps related to the new
exadata product announced wedneday at OOW?
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:54:08 -0700, hpuxrac wrote:

> A wild shot in the dark might make say perhaps related to the new
> exadata product announced wedneday at OOW?

Yes, that's probably the right answer.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: DA Morgan on
hpuxrac wrote:
> On Sep 26, 7:43 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oracle 11.1.0.7 has some undocumented new parameters. I was unable to
>> find anything on Metalink or Google. The parameters are:
>>
>> cell_offload_compaction
>> cell_offload_parameters
>> cell_offload_plan_display
>> cell_partition_large_extents
>>
>> Is there anybody who knows what these parameters are about? It looks
>> like a brand new mechanism, possibly for handling NUMA or, maybe, MODEL
>> clause and analytic functions? These are wild guesses, I have no clue
>> about the true nature of the parameters.
>
> A wild shot in the dark might make say perhaps related to the new
> exadata product announced wedneday at OOW?

One of the people involved in writing the code was Kevin Closson:
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com

If you really want to ask ... go to the source.

For those who didn't make it to OpenWorld here are a couple of
the more important events reported on at the conference that do
not relate to the Exadata Storage Server.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoeG6zCXmUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmAE9msj1k
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
From: hpuxrac on
On Sep 27, 1:20 am, DA Morgan <damor...(a)psoug.org> wrote:

snip

> If you really want to ask ... go to the source.
>
> For those who didn't make it to OpenWorld here are a couple of
> the more important events reported on at the conference that do
> not relate to the Exadata Storage Server

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoeG6zCXmUY

Man that's a lot of weight among those directors. A little exercise
doesn't necessarily kill an oracle professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmAE9msj1k

Wow! Guess that answers the old Wendy's question about where's the
beef eh?