From: Kenneth Tilton on
David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 6, 11:52 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>>> You're just as obnoxious as the library haters you complain about.
>> Good lord, is David Mark the only one in here with a sense of humor?
>
> Speak of the devil...
>
>> If it makes you feel better the site does not work from my own computer
>> (tho it works from others I have lying around) and I serious broke
>> focus-handling with the last change I made before uploading. Now there's
>> a shock.

> * Kenny doesn't know anything about browser scripting, CSS, HTML or
> anything else to do with "InterWeb programming" (and likely never
> will).
>
> * Kenny blames all of his problems on the people who warned him in
> advance that he would have such problems (e.g. "library haters")
>
> * Kenny now sees everybody as "library haters" because nobody can seem
> to make his application work.
>
> * Kenny inexplicably thinks his (appropriately labeled) "train wreck"
> is an example of how well KooksDo "works".
>
> * Kenny gets angry when bugs are reported and chastises reporters for
> missing some imaginary "big picture" that is apparently only visible
> to him.
>
> * Kenny thinks that "advanced" libraries like KooksDo and Cujo are
> going to replace HTML/CSS/JS because he's seen demos that look like
> (very slow and unwieldy) desktop applications.
>
> In short, Kenny is a clueless, fantasizing, disagreeable greenhorn
> (not at all uncommon in the industry). Just ignore him and maybe he
> will go away.

Thanks, Dave. I was looking for an excuse to jump back in since there is
no news on the JS front to justify me posting here again. It's just
going so well with qooxdoo that nowadays the server-side functionality
is my only concern. As soon as I reach the next milestone (today, I
hope) I'll spam you all about my Algebra software in the guise of
responding to this.

I owe you one!

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> I don't see much interesting in his posts. :-(

Have you looked at qooxlisp? http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp/

Cells? http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/cells/

Didn't think so.

How do /you/ program the web?

kt

From: Kenneth Tilton on
David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 6, 11:52 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>>> You're just as obnoxious as the library haters you complain about.
>> Good lord, is David Mark the only one in here with a sense of humor?
>
> Speak of the devil...
>
>> If it makes you feel better the site does not work from my own computer
>> (tho it works from others I have lying around) and I serious broke
>> focus-handling with the last change I made before uploading. Now there's
>> a shock.

> * Kenny doesn't know anything about browser scripting, CSS, HTML or
> anything else to do with "InterWeb programming" (and likely never
> will).

And I can still build this:

http://teamalgebra.com/

In ten weeks. Working only week-ends. Get it?

If you'll notice, that web site let's kids enter any problem and then
solve it any way they like and is able to check any step they enter and
offer hints on how to proceed, even if the software would have done it
differently. That is not the easiest functionality to implement, so how
about you spend all your time fussing with browser variations in HTML
and CSS and HTML while I do something a tad more interesting?

> * Kenny blames all of his problems on the people who warned him in
> advance that he would have such problems (e.g. "library haters")

I am having problems with qooxdoo? Maybe you think the focus thing was a
qooxdoo "problem"? Sorry, Charlie, my app does things with the focus,
too. Duhhhhhh. The bug was in my handling.

Cells fans will be interested to know that I got into a dataflow ccyle
where the server told qooxdoo about focus changes when the app wanted to
initialize the focus to, say, the top-left widget in a new form but (of
course) qooxdoo has to tell the app when the user clicks on a widget to
change the focus. Normally I get all hairy with code trying to detect
cycles, but this time it occurred to me to do something new in my
experience with external GUIs: the Lisp application, when it wants to
focus on X, does so by having the client eval /qooxdoo/ code to focus on
X. The lisp app then learns about the focus change in the same way as if
the user had clicked on X! Roundabout? Guilty, but possibly Deeply
Correct. We'll see if it holds up.

> * Kenny now sees everybody as "library haters" because nobody can seem
> to make his application work.

No, I read what they write and I can tell where they are coming from.
Especially when they end by suggesting my editor does not work because I
am using a library. See straw. Grasp.

> * Kenny inexplicably thinks his (appropriately labeled) "train wreck"
> is an example of how well KooksDo "works".

Only to the intellectually honest observer. That I cannot help you with.

> * Kenny gets angry when bugs are reported and chastises reporters for
> missing some imaginary "big picture" that is apparently only visible
> to him.

It was all a misunderstanding. I hid too well the warning that the site
was offered "as is". That is now the "front page".

> * Kenny thinks that "advanced" libraries like KooksDo and Cujo are
> going to replace HTML/CSS/JS because he's seen demos that look like
> (very slow and unwieldy) desktop applications.

Right, Kenny is the only one using JS libraries. And you call me
"fantasizing"?

> In short, Kenny is a clueless, fantasizing, disagreeable greenhorn
> (not at all uncommon in the industry). Just ignore him and maybe he
> will go away.

Again, thx so much for bringing me back with this post days after the
last in the thread. It would have been really lame for me to try to
resurrect it myself. If you are in the city I'll buy you a drink.

The enhancements in this relase are:

- I re-ran the Algebra engine regression test and found quite a few
things to fix (and fixed them).

- In the Practice Room you can now click "Show Me" and the program will
solve a generated problem step by step. Teachers do not have to write on
the board any more, or turn their backs on the little devils. Click on
any step and the program will explain what it did.

- Miscellaneous other bug fixes.

Non-enhancements:

- No AWS instance outside the East Coast yet. Turns out one can easily
clone an instance but only within a region. I guess my software is not
the only work in progress. The next version might be presentable enough
to take to educators, then I'll worry about covering other regions.

Known flaws:

- Many UI annoyances and confusions

- Hints and explanations refer to actual terms from the problem at hand,
even when entered by the student. But! That is only partly implemented
(it is a tad tricky, that code, and I punted a bit).

Known bizarritude:

- At some point the software will start positioning math too high within
a widget. You'll know if it happens. I have not sorted out what
triggers this, but once it starts it stays that way so once I notice (or
someone complains) I will dynamically set a flag that tells the code to
compensate. Don't you wish you were a Lisp programmer?

Next up:

- the so-called "Mission" module that offers no hints and no second
chances and requires 80% to get certified in a skill.

- "Review" lessons that offer a mix of problems from all the subsections
of a chapter. That code is there, just needs resurrection.

Cue the hounds, who have left as an exercise explaining why it bothers
them so much that a fellow programmer is having fun quickly bring a
ground-breaking application to the Web.

Again, for your convenience: http://teamalgebra.com/

kt

ps. In case anyone does not find this interesting, go to the site and
poke around and meditate on this: I write Lisp all day, and lately
nothing but Lisp. I rarely look at qooxdoo doc (tho that will fire up
again if/when I need a new widget). I almost never look at HTML and CSS
references. Yet I am building a Web application. Ommmm.... kzo

From: Krzysztof Drewniak on
Kenneth Tilton <kentilton(a)gmail.com> writes:

[snip other things]

> [...]
>
> - the so-called "Mission" module that offers no hints and no second
> chances and requires 80% to get certified in a skill.
>
> - "Review" lessons that offer a mix of problems from all the
> subsections of a chapter. That code is there, just needs resurrection.
>
> Cue the hounds, who have left as an exercise explaining why it bothers
> them so much that a fellow programmer is having fun quickly bring a
> ground-breaking application to the Web.
>
> Again, for your convenience: http://teamalgebra.com/
>
> kt
>
> ps. In case anyone does not find this interesting, go to the site and
> poke around and meditate on this: I write Lisp all day, and lately
> nothing but Lisp. I rarely look at qooxdoo doc (tho that will fire up
> again if/when I need a new widget). I almost never look at HTML and
> CSS references. Yet I am building a Web application. Ommmm.... kzo
Can you please explain how to input x^2 +1 = 0

Krzysztof
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
Kenneth Tilton <kentilton(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Again, for your convenience: http://teamalgebra.com/
>
> kt
>
> ps. In case anyone does not find this interesting, go to the site and
> poke around and meditate on this: I write Lisp all day, and lately
> nothing but Lisp. I rarely look at qooxdoo doc (tho that will fire up
> again if/when I need a new widget). I almost never look at HTML and
> CSS references. Yet I am building a Web application. Ommmm.... kzo

Sorry, perhaps I had words too strong.

Alt doesn't work. I'm using X, with a personal Xmodmap and
Firefox. (Alt and Meta aren't the same key on my keyboard, and neither
work with your web page).

What about typing sqrt instead of alt-r?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Job Opening at SRI International
Next: Slime and string ~