From: wexfordpress on
I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end
monitor, a Sony G520
The only vga card I could find on Tiger Direct is a PNY GeForce 5200
256MB PCI w/Dual VGA
to be delivered tomorrow. However I now find that software drivers are
required for Windows.

Must I install software drivers for Slackware 12.1 Linux? I odn't need
the dual feature.

What changes should I make to xorg.conf to accommodate this new video
card?

I posted on the hardware group but my post never appeared.

John Culleton
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2008-08-14, wexfordpress <john(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end
> monitor, a Sony G520
> The only vga card I could find on Tiger Direct is a PNY GeForce 5200
> 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA
> to be delivered tomorrow. However I now find that software drivers are
> required for Windows.
>
> Must I install software drivers for Slackware 12.1 Linux? I odn't need
> the dual feature.
>
> What changes should I make to xorg.conf to accommodate this new video
> card?

If your previous video card was a PNY or Nvidia it's possible you might
not need new drivers. If the new card allows higher resolution or scan
rates you might modify xorg.conf to enable those.
If you don't need the advanced features of the card, the open source nv
or vesa drivers might be enough. On the other hand, what do you mean by
"I need a more capable video card"? Do you need 3D, or just more video
RAM and higher resolution?

From: wexfordpress on
On Aug 14, 10:06 am, Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 2008-08-14, wexfordpress <j...(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end
> > monitor, a Sony G520
> > The only vga card I could find on Tiger Direct is a PNY GeForce 5200
> > 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA
> > to be delivered tomorrow. However I now find that software drivers are
> > required for Windows.
>
> > Must I install software drivers for Slackware 12.1 Linux? I odn't need
> > the dual feature.
>
> > What changes should I make to xorg.conf to accommodate this new video
> > card?
>
> If your previous video card was a PNY or Nvidia it's possible you might
> not need new drivers. If the new card allows higher resolution or scan
> rates you might modify xorg.conf to enable those.
> If you don't need the advanced features of the card, the open source nv
> or vesa drivers might be enough. On the other hand, what do you mean by
> "I need a more capable video card"? Do you need 3D, or just more video
> RAM and higher resolution?

I needed higher resolution because this indirectly controls the
dimensions of the virtual desktop.
You are right. I plugged the thing in and it worked. I got 4 out of
the 5 resolutions I asked for in xorg.conf.

Thanks for responding.