From: Peter on
I've installed Centos 5.1 Linux to a USB drive and have set my laptop
to boot from the USB port. When I select the USB Drive as the boot
device it displays "No Boot Sector on USB Drive" then procedes to boot
from my internal HD with WinXP. Does anyone know how I get a boot
sector on my usb drive? I thought the linux installation would of
placed one on it, it was also suppose to install the grub loader.

Thanks,
Pete
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2008-06-28, Peter <petercritic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've installed Centos 5.1 Linux to a USB drive and have set my laptop
> to boot from the USB port. When I select the USB Drive as the boot
> device it displays "No Boot Sector on USB Drive" then procedes to boot
> from my internal HD with WinXP. Does anyone know how I get a boot
> sector on my usb drive? I thought the linux installation would of
> placed one on it, it was also suppose to install the grub loader.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Assuming the USB drive is /dev/sda, did you install Centos on /dev/sda
or /dev/sda1 ? What is the result of the command
"sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" ?
From: Peter on
On Jun 28, 5:50 am, Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Assuming the USB drive is /dev/sda, did you install Centos on /dev/sda
> or /dev/sda1 ? What is the result of the command
> "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" ?

I'm trying to run that command but the only linux I have access to is
the SystemRescue CD and the Centos Live CD. I'm not able to find
fdisk but here is some information I found out when I ran gparted on
the systemrescue cd.

/dev/sdb2 / ext3 contains around 3.7 gigs of
information
/dev/sdb3 swap
/dev/sdb1 ntfs contains my xp installation

when I was running the centos live cd I was able to cd the contents of
sdb2 so I know the installation did something. Ok I found fdisk at /
mnt/disc/sda2/sbin/fdisk but when I try running your command it says
sudo: fdisk: command not found

Chris

From: Peter on

From: Brandon McCombs on
Peter wrote:
> On Jun 28, 5:50 am, Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Assuming the USB drive is /dev/sda, did you install Centos on /dev/sda
>> or /dev/sda1 ? What is the result of the command
>> "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" ?
>
> I'm trying to run that command but the only linux I have access to is
> the SystemRescue CD and the Centos Live CD. I'm not able to find
> fdisk but here is some information I found out when I ran gparted on
> the systemrescue cd.
>
> /dev/sdb2 / ext3 contains around 3.7 gigs of
> information
> /dev/sdb3 swap
> /dev/sdb1 ntfs contains my xp installation
>
> when I was running the centos live cd I was able to cd the contents of
> sdb2 so I know the installation did something. Ok I found fdisk at /
> mnt/disc/sda2/sbin/fdisk but when I try running your command it says
> sudo: fdisk: command not found
>
> Chris

/mnt/disc/sda2/sbin/ isn't in your path so to run that instance of fdisk
you have to type '/mnt/disc/sda2/sbin/fdisk' instead of just 'fdisk'.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Strange mount
Next: New video card.