From: Peter on
Ok I got a little closer. I deleted all the partitions on the usb
drive and re-installed Centos and it worked. But it overwrote the
master boot record on drive C on my internal drive. I finally got XP
working again using fixmbr command but when I select the usb drive it
won't boot. So its not accessing the GRUB program so maybe its not in
the right location on the USB drive. Is there a program or command I
can run on the USB drive that would run the GRUB program on the USB
drive without touching the master boot record on my internal drive?
right now I'm using the live cd for centos.

Thanks

From: ps on
Hi Peter,

forget GRUB, I think it is not possible to boot from a USB Stick using it.
I had the same problem. I solved it, using SYSLINUX as the bootloader.
Create a FAT16 boot partition on your Stick, and follow the instructions
on the project homepage.

Regards,
Thomas

Peter schrieb:
> Ok I got a little closer. I deleted all the partitions on the usb
> drive and re-installed Centos and it worked. But it overwrote the
> master boot record on drive C on my internal drive. I finally got XP
> working again using fixmbr command but when I select the usb drive it
> won't boot. So its not accessing the GRUB program so maybe its not in
> the right location on the USB drive. Is there a program or command I
> can run on the USB drive that would run the GRUB program on the USB
> drive without touching the master boot record on my internal drive?
> right now I'm using the live cd for centos.
>
> Thanks

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Strange mount