From: Colin on
Hi all,

I need to setup a TS 08 box for a client. They currently have a SBS 2003
Server working fine but now have a remote office with 6/8 users who will need
to access data on the server. My plan is to install a Terminal Server 2008
box at the main office alongside the SBS and let them RDP in to the TS box to
access data, email etc (the TS hosting their individual desktops ?). I intend
to buy a Volume License for Office 2007. Can someone give me some pointers to
documemtation, websites etc that can help me with this - I've never used TS
before. I've setup a test box on my own SBS 2003 network and it all seems to
work OK but I could do with some advice here. Thanks!

Regards Colin.
From: RCan on
Hi Colin,

if you "federate" them into your network => a.e. site-2-site VPN and routers
which connects both networks together + enough bandwith available, they can
also access the mentioned services like data (fileserver, dfs,
branchcache...) and mailservices via Outlook client remotely without to
operate terminal services. TS would give you a.e. the capability for
centralized application management.

Since 2008 especially in R2 systems there are many changes in terminal
services which is now called RD services (remote desktop). There are now
several different roles like RD gateway, web access, remote app... available
which offers different ways how to access the applications and or servers.
My absolute favourite here is RD gateway role.

Here are some step-by-step guidelines for Windows 2008 RD services :
TS Gateway Step-by-Step Guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771530(WS.10).aspx

TS RemoteApp Step-by-Step Guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730673(WS.10).aspx

Getting Started: Remote Desktop Services (R2)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd736539(WS.10).aspx

Hope that helps

Regards
Ramazan

From: Colin on
Hi Ramazan,

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the links you have kindly provided.

Regards Colin.

From: fox7 on
Colin:
Take the advice of RCAn. We are using Termail Server here, but what you
are describing we use VPNs. I use Terminal Server here for letting people
run applications on are main server, but not have any access to the server.
The Terminal Server is a barrier between the users and our main server. Also
I use it for one of our facilities that has only 1.5 MBs bandwidth so they
can use our applications in a timely manner. Both of these examples are
given by RCan. I am not a Terminal Server Expert, I am here to get help
also, but I can share my experiences.

Fox7

From: Colin on
Hi,

Thanks for your input. I will be using a VPN between the 2 sites but the
bandwidth is low - 1MB at best. This is why I intend to use TS - to get the
remote users to RDP into the TS box and operate their programs (Word, Excel,
Outlook etc) from there.

Regards Colin.