From: Moe Trin on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
<9f87684e-e962-4cd7-a8eb-a12efc904327(a)m35g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, FBWNDR
wrote:

>I am new to Linux and to this group. I used Linux in 2004 (Red hat),
>and so I do have some familiarity with the operating system.

Red Hat in 2004 - could be anything up to Fedora-Core 3 or the RHEL 3

>I would appreciate it if someone would recommend a linux distribution
>for me. I really don't know what the differences are. It would be a
>big help if someone were to recommend a distribution which would suit
>my needs.

You are posting from a search engine - why not use that for it's
intended purpose and search for "recommended Linux distribution".
You'll find this is a useless question - like asking what car you
should buy, what kind of beer to drink, or what flavor of ice cream
is best. It's a totally personal decision... yours.

Start at http://www.distrowatch.com/ and you'll discover there are
hundreds of distributions available (649 in their database, 308 of
which are current). As you "used" some Red Hat version before, a
good place to start would be one of the Red Hat clones (RH Enterprise
Linux is a commercial distro and is costly - CentOS, WhiteBox, PinkTie
are low-cost/free clones). The successor to the old non-commercial Red
Hat (2.x, 3.0.3, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.0, 9) and Fedora Core is Fedora
but this is a cutting edge (though very popular) distribution. For an
rpm based system, Mandriva and SuSE would be suitable. There are
literally several dozen clones of Debian which uses a different package
system. Something with the string 'buntu' in the name (such as Ubuntu)
is a popular series.

For most users, the difference in distributions is the GUI desktop
the system comes with. These are bloated windoze wannabe programs
that are available for every distribution. Red Hat was/is Gnome
based, while Mandriva is KDE. All are suitable for a six-year-old.
The top page at www.distrowatch.com has links to a number of places
where you can get CDs and DVDs, or you can go to distro.ibiblio.org
and download a large selection of iso images for free.

Old guy
From: Stefan Patric on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:57:54 -0800, FBWNDR wrote:

> Hello,
> I am new to Linux and to this group. I used Linux in 2004 (Red hat),
> and so I do have some familiarity with the operating system. As many
> [snip]

Since you used Red Hat in the past, then CentOS (http://www.centos.org/)
or Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/) would make good first trial
choices, since they both evolved from Red Hat.

Stef
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-02-14, Stefan Patric <not(a)this.address.com> wrote:

> Since you used Red Hat in the past, then CentOS (http://www.centos.org/)
> or Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/) would make good first trial
> choices, since they both evolved from Red Hat.

Neither are strict evolutions of RedHat.

CentOS aims to be a binary clone of RHEL. It basically strips out any
proprietary RH items (mostly logos and mentions of RedHat), builds its
own packages, and redistributes that. It, like RHEL, is intended to be
stable, but is sometimes a little (or more than a little) behind the
latest releases of software.

Fedora amounts to a permanent devel version of RHEL, sponsored by RH.
It is not intended to be ''stable'', and unless a user understands that
Fedora is basically a beta or alpha version I would not suggest it to
new linux users unless they absolutely needed the latest version of a
particular piece of software.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Stefan Patric on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:59:54 -0800, Keith Keller wrote:

> On 2010-02-14, Stefan Patric <not(a)this.address.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since you used Red Hat in the past, then CentOS
>> (http://www.centos.org/) or Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/) would
>> make good first trial choices, since they both evolved from Red Hat.
>
> Neither are strict evolutions of RedHat.

Perhaps you should refresh your understanding of the meaning of evolve,
at least, beyond the biological one.

> CentOS aims to be a binary clone of RHEL. It basically strips out any
> proprietary RH items (mostly logos and mentions of RedHat), builds its
> own packages, and redistributes that. It, like RHEL, is intended to be
> stable, but is sometimes a little (or more than a little) behind the
> latest releases of software.

Didn't RHEL develop (evolve) out of the work done initially creating Red
Hat?

> Fedora amounts to a permanent devel version of RHEL, sponsored by RH. It
> is not intended to be ''stable'', and unless a user understands that
> Fedora is basically a beta or alpha version I would not suggest it to
> new linux users unless they absolutely needed the latest version of a
> particular piece of software.

I've been using Fedora since Fedora Core 3. 1 & 2 were unstable, true.
Really problematical. Those CDs hit the trash fast, but since 3, it has
been quite stable, very usable.

Yes, Fedora is development, cutting edge (for Linux anyway) software, but
if you stick with the "Final" release and not use the RCs (Release
Candidates), it is just as stable as any other "stable" Linux release.
(And a hell of a lot more stable than any release of Windows. ;-))

My systems ran 24/7 and were only shutdown for cleaning or to add or
upgrade hardware. I never had any failures due to the OS. The only
stability problems I've had is currently with the 64-bit alpha release of
Flash, which crashes every one-in-a-while bringing down the browser, but
not the OS, Fedora 12.

Fedora is stable enough for any general user.

Stef
From: fucku on
Try Slackware!