From: FBWNDR on
Hello,
I am new to Linux and to this group. I used Linux in 2004 (Red hat),
and so I do have some familiarity with the operating system. As many
people are, I am now faced with having to install a new windows OS or
switching to open source software. I have to use windows at my job,
but I don't intend to get windows 7 for my home computer.

I am a relatively advanced computer user. I'm an engineer with many
years' programming experience (C, VBA, Basic, some assembly, Ladder
Logic). Currently, I use programming softwares for PLCs,
microprocessors and VBA, and an old C compiler. I don't use the
computer for entertainment or videos. But I do use MP3s. Okay,
having said all that, I would appreciate it if someone would recommend
a linux distribution for me. I really don't know what the differences
are. It would be a big help if someone were to recommend a
distribution which would suit my needs.

Thanks for your help.

FB
From: Mark Hobley on
FBWNDR <fletchbites(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I would appreciate it if someone would recommend a linux distribution for me

How do you like it? Console based? Flashy graphics? No proprietary components?

There are loads of factors to consider. Because you are migrating from
Microsoft Windows, I suggest you start with an Ubuntu live CD, and check that
this runs on your system.

If not, you may want to try Debian (This works on most machines, where others
do not).

If you like Ubuntu, you can choose to install it. If you don't then simply
try another distro.

The distros all have a different "feel" to them. Some distros are resource
hungry, others are lightweight and efficient. It really depends on what you
like.

> It would be a big help if someone were to recommend a distribution which
> would suit my needs.

Please tell us your needs, and we can advise accordingly.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: unruh on
On 2010-02-13, Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> FBWNDR <fletchbites(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would appreciate it if someone would recommend a linux distribution for me

You did not give enough information. On one level all Linux
distributions are the same. They all have the Linux kernel. They all
have loads of programs to run on the system. The key differences are in
their installation routines, their package managers, and their bootup
routines.
You can probably divide them into two camps-- the Redhat camp (using the
rpm package manager) which includes Mandriva, the one I happen to use.
Or the Debian camp, which uses apt as package manager (of whic hUbuntu
is a spin off).

All run both kde and gnome, the two main flavours in Graphics managers (
although other lesser ones exist) but in general any program that runs
on one runs on the other. Ie, seen from Windows there is not much of a
difference between Linux distributions. It depends on your style.

> If not, you may want to try Debian (This works on most machines, where others
> do not).

?? Debian is the most conservative and is the least likely to run the
most modern hardware. It is also the least "organized". Ubuntu grew in
order to make installing Debian less of a pain.

> The distros all have a different "feel" to them. Some distros are resource
> hungry, others are lightweight and efficient. It really depends on what you
> like.

??? Resource hungry? That is primarily the GUI not the distro. Some
distros favour gnome, some kde ( both a pretty resurce hungry) but all
can run either. AFAIK.

>> It would be a big help if someone were to recommend a distribution which
>> would suit my needs.
>
> Please tell us your needs, and we can advise accordingly.

I suspect all will suit your needs as well as any other. That may not be
true of your preferences.
From: Mark Hobley on
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> ?? Debian is the most conservative and is the least likely to run the
> most modern hardware.

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I have not run into that problem in the field. My
experience has been that if a computer will not boot with another system, it
will usually boot ok in Debian. (That said, I have only tried 32 bit versions.
Maybe the story is different for 64 bit architecture).

> ??? Resource hungry? That is primarily the GUI not the distro. Some
> distros favour gnome, some kde ( both a pretty resurce hungry) but all
> can run either. AFAIK.

Indeed. Some distros use a resource hungry GUI by default. Others use a
lightweight window manager. Debian has a large number of packages to choose
from, so you can use a lightweight window manager or Gnome or KDE.

From: Grant on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:57:54 -0800 (PST), FBWNDR <fletchbites(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I am a relatively advanced computer user. I'm an engineer with many
>years' programming experience (C, VBA, Basic, some assembly, Ladder
>Logic). Currently, I use programming softwares for PLCs,
>microprocessors and VBA, and an old C compiler. I don't use the
>computer for entertainment or videos. But I do use MP3s. Okay,
>having said all that, I would appreciate it if someone would recommend
>a linux distribution for me. I really don't know what the differences
>are. It would be a big help if someone were to recommend a
>distribution which would suit my needs.

Slackware! I switched from Redhat to Slackware in 2004 and have no
desire to change distros. I'm a retired electronics engineer, found
Slackware suits my mindset.

You may need to survey the biggie distros (Debian, Suse, Redhat) as
well to see which suits you. For example I found Debian opaque and
difficult to work with the few times I tried it over the last dozen
years (never completed an install). Redhat was too much churn (for
the free versions) and the package manager was bad. Suse? Can't stand
Yast and its broken promises. Gentoo made me feel like a script kiddie
following compile recipes, final straw during time trying it was when
an update threw out all my customisation.

Most other distros (see distrowatch) seem to be derivatives of the
biggies, therefore pointless unless they address a specific need.

Why Slackware? It's easy to work around the clunky bits, basic machine
configuration is not wrapped up in 'magic' utilities that fail under
special or rare circumstances. Problems can be traced with simple,
standard command line tools. I found Slackware educational as well,
because it doesn't attempt to sugar-coat the inner workings, I learn
more about GNU/Linux.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/