From: Christian Heimes on
> I know very little about security, but one thing I think I know. Never
> use security software version 1.0 or greater. It was written by an
> author insufficiently paranoid.

OpenSSL 1.0.0a was released about a month ago. ;)

From: John Nagle on
On 7/28/2010 10:23 PM, geremy condra wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM, John Nagle<nagle(a)animats.com> wrote:
>> On 7/28/2010 6:26 PM, geremy condra wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Jeffrey
>>> Gaynor<jgaynor(a)ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>> The new Python SSL module in 2.6 and later has a huge built-in
>> security hole - it doesn't verify the domain against the
>> certificate. As someone else put it, this means "you get to
>> talk securely with your attacker." As long as the site or proxy
>> has some valid SSL cert, any valid SSL cert copied from anywhere,
>> the new Python SSL module will tell you everything is just fine.
>>
>> John Nagle
>
> Did anything ever come of the discussion that you and Antoine had?
>
> Geremy Condra
>
> PS- the quote is due to Justin Samuel

I had to write my own domain check. Did anyone re-open the
bug report on that issue?

John Nagle

From: Antoine Pitrou on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:23:48 -0700
geremy condra <debatem1(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >   The new Python SSL module in 2.6 and later has a huge built-in
> > security hole - it doesn't verify the domain against the
> > certificate.  As someone else put it, this means "you get to
> > talk securely with your attacker." As long as the site or proxy
> > has some valid SSL cert, any valid SSL cert copied from anywhere,
> > the new Python SSL module will tell you everything is just fine.
> >
> >                                John Nagle
>
> Did anything ever come of the discussion that you and Antoine had?

As I wrote in http://bugs.python.org/issue1589, I would support adding
the necessary function(s) to the SSL module, and have urllib (and other
stdlib modules) support them. Someone needs to write a patch, though.

Regards

Antoine.

From: geremy condra on
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis(a)pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:23:48 -0700
> geremy condra <debatem1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >   The new Python SSL module in 2.6 and later has a huge built-in
>> > security hole - it doesn't verify the domain against the
>> > certificate.  As someone else put it, this means "you get to
>> > talk securely with your attacker." As long as the site or proxy
>> > has some valid SSL cert, any valid SSL cert copied from anywhere,
>> > the new Python SSL module will tell you everything is just fine.
>> >
>> >                                John Nagle
>>
>> Did anything ever come of the discussion that you and Antoine had?
>
> As I wrote in http://bugs.python.org/issue1589, I would support adding
> the necessary function(s) to the SSL module, and have urllib (and other
> stdlib modules) support them. Someone needs to write a patch, though.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Hmm, my understanding at the time was that there had been a decision
to just adapt Heikki Toivonen's M2Crypto code, if that's just looking
for someone to turn it into a patch I'll see if I can't find the time
next week.

Geremy Condra
From: Gregory Ewing on
David Robinow wrote:
> Never
> use security software version 1.0 or greater. It was written by an
> author insufficiently paranoid.

Hmmm. So to get people to trust your security software, you
should start with version 0.0 and increment by 0.0000001
for each release. :-)

--
Greg