From: Pat O'Halloran on
I know this question is often asked but I'm posting again in case I've
missed some newcomers.

What decent Newsreaders are ther out there?

I use MacSOUP and have done for years but it is getting very slow. I
know others haven't noticed this but it often takes an age to download
posts. I got a trial version of Unison and tried this and it downloads
much faster from the same server. However, I'm not sure I like Unison.

Is there anything else out there worth looking at?

Cheers
From: Peter Ceresole on
Pat O'Halloran <kelpie(a)danu.co.uk> wrote:

> I use MacSOUP and have done for years but it is getting very slow. I
> know others haven't noticed this but it often takes an age to download
> posts. I got a trial version of Unison and tried this and it downloads
> much faster from the same server.

Which server is this?

From the Beriln server, here, MacSOUP is jolly quick.
--
Peter
From: Pat O'Halloran on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Pat O'Halloran <kelpie(a)danu.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I use MacSOUP and have done for years but it is getting very slow. I
> > know others haven't noticed this but it often takes an age to download
> > posts. I got a trial version of Unison and tried this and it downloads
> > much faster from the same server.
>
> Which server is this?
>
> From the Beriln server, here, MacSOUP is jolly quick.

news.individual.net
I think that's the berlin server. Not all the time but quite often
MacSOUP downloads around I message per second. I downloaded Unison,
connected to the same server and it downloaded many times faster. I have
had this issue with MacSOUP for a while but can't explain why it should
be different for me than other people.

Cheers

From: Peter Ceresole on
Pat O'Halloran <kelpie(a)danu.co.uk> wrote:

> > Which server is this?
> >
> > From the Beriln server, here, MacSOUP is jolly quick.
>
> news.individual.net
> I think that's the berlin server.

Yup.

Here MacSOUP downloads several dozen articles a second. Well that's what
it looks like- I haven't done any tests.

I have no idea why you should be seeing such a difference.
--
Peter
From: Gareth Slee on
Pat O'Halloran <kelpie(a)danu.co.uk> wrote:
> Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Pat O'Halloran <kelpie(a)danu.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I use MacSOUP and have done for years but it is getting very slow.
> > > know others haven't noticed this but it often takes an age to
> > > download
> > > posts. I got a trial version of Unison and tried this and it
> > > downloads
> > > much faster from the same server.
> >
> > Which server is this?
> >
> > From the Beriln server, here, MacSOUP is jolly quick.
>
> news.individual.net
> I think that's the berlin server. Not all the time but quite often
> MacSOUP downloads around I message per second. I downloaded Unison,
> connected to the same server and it downloaded many times faster. I
> have
> had this issue with MacSOUP for a while but can't explain why it
> should
> be different for me than other people.
>
> Cheers

Make sure you have the latest version of MacSoup. Seem to remember that
there was an issue with an earlier version performing poorly with OSX

--
Gareth