From: Andrew Toms on
Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I am so close I can
taste it, but not there yet.

We have;
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
2GB RAM
Nikon LS-2000
Adaptec 2490U/UW (I am not sure how to tell which is which) -has a
HD68F socket on the back plate
ASPI 4.7 correctly (I think) installed
So far;
The SCSI card "sees" and identifies the scanner when the PC boots up
When I open the NikonScan (v3.1.2) s/w, it no longer gives a "device
not found" error.

BUT -when I open NikonScan, the splash screen never goes away -it just
'hangs' at this point.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

From: Barry Watzman on
The 68-pin socket on the back of your 2940 means it's an "ultra-wide"
variant (2940UW; UW = Ultra Wide). This is not the preferred card for a
Nikon scanner, although it can be made to work with the right cable,
termination and configuration. The 2940U/2940AU (narrow cards with a
50-pin connector on the back) are really preferred. You can usually
find these on E-Bay for $5 or less (sometimes for $1) plus about $5 more
for shipping.

You may have a bad or wrong cable. The fact that you are connecting a
50-pin (narrow) device to a 68-pin (wide) SCSI card introduces a lot of
variables would simply go away if you had the narrow version of the
card. Given that the cost is so low, I'd be inclined to replace the
card unless you get it resolved. [In particular, the "wide" scsi bus
has lines that do not connect to anything/anywhere, but which may still
need to be terminated.]

It's also possible that the scanner itself is defective. Does it pass
it's power on self-test?

From: Andrew Toms on
Thanks Barry,

The Adaptec 2940UW card was free, so I thought I would give it a go
(the scanner cost me $150 on Craigslist).
The SCSI cable is brand new (StarTech HD68-to-HD50).
Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow blink
1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). It does not make
any noise, and I cannot see a lamp illuminate anywhere (as opposed to
flatbed scanners, which often do this?). This device is new to me, so
I am not sure what it is "supposed" to do. No manual or instructions
came with it.
The Adaptec card appears to recognize the scanner -when the PC powers-
up, the SCSI BIOS screen comes up, and it identifies a Nikon LS2000
scanner ID#2 -I took that to be a good sign.
I did verify more closely that I have the right ASPI layer installed,
the ASPICHK gives me back the correct versions (4.7 etc) that I have
seen posted elsewhere.

Willing to poke at it a bit more (and try a different card if they are
that cheap) before giving up.

From: Andrew Toms on
UPDATE

Things got much more interesting once I found and removed the transit
lock screw on the underside of the unit (there is another one in the
back panel).
NikonScan still would not recognize the device. BUT -Hamrick VueScan
DOES see it, and it runs. I got one fuzzy preview image from a slide,
everything else is a fuzzy wash. I am suspecting the leadscrew drive
might be jammed at end of travel (I can now see the LEDS illuminating
the front edge of my slide, but it never "scans").

From: Barry Watzman on
WHOA !!!

Re: "Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow
blink 1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). "

YOUR SCANNER IS DEFECTIVE. PERIOD.

If, during self-test, the scanner ***EVER*** blinks fast, even though it
will stop, the scanner is defective.

You can stop right now. The scanner itself is defective and needs
service. And Nikon no longer services these scanners.

Please contact me directly by E-Mail (Watzman(a)neo.rr.com)