From: Daryl on
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4600 and began using the included
Nikon Picture Project software.
I noticed that both my original photo and the edited copy are both
somehow saved together under one (the same) file name. Example:
After burning the edited photo to a CD and deleting all traces of the
files from my hard drive, I can still toggle the original/edited pics
using the Picture Project software if I import the file from the CD.
I can only view the orginal if I view it through Picture Project - I
cannot see it using any other software (I can only see the edited
version).
Can anyone explain how two versions of a photo can be saved in the
same folder and file.
TIA
From: Nostrobino on

"Daryl" <Daryl125(a)TRASHoptonline.net> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4600 and began using the included
> Nikon Picture Project software.
> I noticed that both my original photo and the edited copy are both
> somehow saved together under one (the same) file name. Example:
> After burning the edited photo to a CD and deleting all traces of the
> files from my hard drive, I can still toggle the original/edited pics
> using the Picture Project software if I import the file from the CD.
> I can only view the orginal if I view it through Picture Project - I
> cannot see it using any other software (I can only see the edited
> version).
> Can anyone explain how two versions of a photo can be saved in the
> same folder and file.
> TIA

No idea how it's done from a programming point of view, but evidently the
original is just concealed in some way as far as other software is
concerned. You'll notice that when you use Picture Project to edit (even
very slightly, as with Auto Redeye, etc.) the file size approximately
doubles. So apparently it saves a whole separate, second image in the same
file and makes the original unreadable by ordinary means.

N.

From: Ray on
You know...I have seen that too. If no one here knows the answers, you
can try posting in "nikonians" or send an email to Nikon tech support.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:11:55 -0400, Daryl

From: Ray on
Also..you should have spent the money for more telephoto like I said!

From: Nostrobino on

"Ray" <nitecaptdontspam(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> Also..you should have spent the money for more telephoto like I said!

He may be perfectly satisfied with the 3x zoom of the 4600. My sister has
the 4100 (earlier version of the 4600) and she loves it. The 35-105mm
(equivalent) range is probably ideal for most people. A friend of mine
bought a 35mm SLR some years ago with a 35-105 and never felt any need to
add another lens.

N.