From: ume on
I went to www.bestpricecameras.com to purchase a Canon SD-500 digital
camera for $379 on 07.10.2005. The site's prices are ridiculously low
so I thought I would call the number listed on their website and check
them out.

The sales person did not give me their name. The person answered yes
to all of my technical questions which I thought was odd. Many of the
answers were incorrect too, as I was comparing the answers to the tech
spec for the camera which I downloaded from canon.com.
The next night, I decided to order the camera from them. I noticed
their site says that credit card information is transmitted securely.
I was skeptical. I entered my personal information into the fields on
the screen like name and address and phone number. When the credit
card information was requested, I noticed that the site was not using
SSL (i.e. HTTPS was not specified in the Address field in my browser).
This means that the browser session is not currently secure.

At this point, I was very skeptical so I decided to right click my
mouse and view the source code for the page that was showing me the
credit card fields. I was shocked to find out that the credit card
information was not going to be transmitted securely even though their
site says that it is. I then closed my browser.

The next day, I decided to call the retailer and I received the same
person on the phone that I spoke with before. When I pointed out the
facts to them regarding that their site was not securely transmitting
ANY data to the server, the person became very rude and extremely
defensive. I remained calmed and explained to them that I did not feel
comfortable entering my credit card info online. The person then
rudely asked me to give them my credit card info over the phone which I
didn't feel comfortable with. He then became even more upset and said
he would only steal from me this weekend. At this point, I hung up and
decided to report this to the BBB.

From: Mark? on

<ume(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>I went to www.bestpricecameras.com to purchase a Canon SD-500 digital
> camera for $379 on 07.10.2005. The site's prices are ridiculously low
> so I thought I would call the number listed on their website and check
> them out.
>
> The sales person did not give me their name. The person answered yes
> to all of my technical questions which I thought was odd. Many of the
> answers were incorrect too, as I was comparing the answers to the tech
> spec for the camera which I downloaded from canon.com.
> The next night, I decided to order the camera from them.

The most amazing part of your post is this last sentence.

Why on EARTH would you "decide to order the camera from them"???????
Didn't you already have enough information to confirm that they werea scam
shop?

When you see a "ridiculously low" price... That's your first clue.
Just in information in your second sentence should have been enough. By the
time your second paragraph kicks in, you should ahve been running away.

From: Mark B. on

<ume(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>I went to www.bestpricecameras.com to purchase a Canon SD-500 digital
> camera for $379 on 07.10.2005. The site's prices are ridiculously low
> so I thought I would call the number listed on their website and check
> them out.
>
> The sales person did not give me their name. The person answered yes
> to all of my technical questions which I thought was odd. Many of the
> answers were incorrect too, as I was comparing the answers to the tech
> spec for the camera which I downloaded from canon.com.
> The next night, I decided to order the camera from them.

Ah, well that explains why scam stores manage to stay in business.

From: Mark? on

"Mark B." <mbohntrash54(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> <ume(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I went to www.bestpricecameras.com to purchase a Canon SD-500 digital
>> camera for $379 on 07.10.2005. The site's prices are ridiculously low
>> so I thought I would call the number listed on their website and check
>> them out.
>>
>> The sales person did not give me their name. The person answered yes
>> to all of my technical questions which I thought was odd. Many of the
>> answers were incorrect too, as I was comparing the answers to the tech
>> spec for the camera which I downloaded from canon.com.
>> The next night, I decided to order the camera from them.
>

> Ah, well that explains why scam stores manage to stay in business.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yipe.

From: Don Wiss on
On 12 Jul 2005 09:47:24 -0700, ume(a)austin.rr.com wrote:

>I went to www.bestpricecameras.com to purchase a Canon SD-500 digital
>camera for $379 on 07.10.2005. The site's prices are ridiculously low
>so I thought I would call the number listed on their website and check
>them out.

The prices are ridulously low as they are in Brooklyn! See them here:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0057.htm
And the following picture.