From: Joe on
Image stabilization appears to be a great feature of the mid-priced
10X + digital cameras. There appears to be a few different types.

Are these systems all similar?

Do any of them work in a unique way that makes it superior?

Canon, Sony and Panasonic - image stabilization
Nikon - Vibration Reduction (VR)

Joe

From: David J Taylor on
Joe wrote:
> Image stabilization appears to be a great feature of the mid-priced
> 10X + digital cameras. There appears to be a few different types.
>
> Are these systems all similar?

Broadly, yes. Two differences:

- all except Minolta move elements in the lens, Minolta move the sensor.

(In video cameras, the IS is sometimes achieved electronically by
displacing the sensor image by a pixel or two. No still cameras use this
for still image capture, although the Nikon 8400 can use electronic VR for
movie mode).

> Do any of them work in a unique way that makes it superior?

- my view is that the jury is still out. All systems gain you about three
stops. The Minolta uniquely requires a larger image circle from the
taking lens, but when applied to an interchangeable lens camera
automatically gives you IS on all the lenses. One person reported that
the Minolta system didn't work as well at long focal lengths (IIRC) -
perhaps this is due to the larger movement required of the sensor? I've
been delighted with the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20.

Cheers,
David

From: Bert on
Have the Panasonic FZ 5, works great

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> schreef
in bericht news:SLRye.64060$G8.14981(a)text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...