From: Celtic Boar on
Please take a look at the attached link. I am still trying to get the hang
of this Unsharp Mask Thing. Are these oversharpened.

Canon 20D - Raw - 75-300 IS Zoom

Thanks.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaHandler=TWljcm9zb2Z0LlNwYWNlcy5XZWIuUGFydHMuUGhvdG9BbGJ1bS5GdWxsTW9kZUNvbnRyb2xsZXI%24&_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaFolderID=cns!1pioagCJB9TmXNBFRp_AlULA!741&_c=PhotoAlbum

~Rikk

website: www.fleetingglimpse.com
blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglmpse/

From: Paul Furman on
Celtic Boar wrote:
> Please take a look at the attached link. I am still trying to get the hang
> of this Unsharp Mask Thing. Are these oversharpened.

I don't think so. Oversharpened pics show halos around edges, emphasized
noise and a sort of flattened washed, out electric haze look.

PS If you sharpened for print size then reduced for web, we won't see
that at all. It is size dependent.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
From: Celtic Boar on
No, I sharpened them last step.

I am a film photog learning the digital game. When I compare the RAW files
saved as TIFF to my processed files, the processed files look unreal. Too
sharp. Maybe I am seeing it backwards and the Raw is too soft.

Thanks.

From: Paul Furman on
Celtic Boar wrote:

> No, I sharpened them last step.
>
> I am a film photog learning the digital game. When I compare the RAW files
> saved as TIFF to my processed files, the processed files look unreal. Too
> sharp. Maybe I am seeing it backwards and the Raw is too soft.

RAW files from a digital camera are indeed very soft and low contrast. I
don't think anybody shoots digital without some sharpening. The contrast
almost certainly needs to be increased too but most software will do
that to some sort of default without even asking. Many DSLRs shoot jpegs
that are muddy looking compared to point & shoot digitals so there is
room to adjust with software & the pictures are not already blown out.

Set the defaults in your raw converter to suit typical shots to give
them punch then just relax the sharpening for high ISO noisy exceptions
& relax contrast for high contrast pictures.

You won't see a lot of the "oversharpening" when printed. On a computer
you can zoom in & obsess on every detail but it'll be softer in a print.

PS I don't know how this all compares to film & I'm fairly new to all
this myself.

From: C Wright on
On 5/29/05 7:13 PM, in article PUsme.17445$cP2.6248(a)fe06.lga, "Celtic Boar"
<extraneous(a)charter.net> wrote:

> Please take a look at the attached link. I am still trying to get the hang
> of this Unsharp Mask Thing. Are these oversharpened.
>
> Canon 20D - Raw - 75-300 IS Zoom
>
> Thanks.
>
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c11_PhotoAlb
> um_spaHandler=TWljcm9zb2Z0LlNwYWNlcy5XZWIuUGFydHMuUGhvdG9BbGJ1bS5GdWxsTW9kZUNv
> bnRyb2xsZXI%24&_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaFolderID=cns!1pioagCJB9TmXNBFRp_AlULA!741&_c
> =PhotoAlbum
>
> ~Rikk
>
> website: www.fleetingglimpse.com
> blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglmpse/

Your images do not look over sharpened to me. Also, when images are printed
on an inkjet they will almost always look softer than they do on your
monitor.
Chuck