From: george_preddy on

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
> <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> SNIP
> > Bayer DSLRs are characteristically blurry and soft because the true
> > optical resolution is the resolution of each, individual, tiny,
> > subdivided, R, G, or B exposure, [...]
>
> How typical, only half-truths (if any).
> Did you forget about lens quality and the anti-aliasing filter, which
> are the true source for blur? Resolution is limited by that, the
> sampling density, and output magnification.

A camera can't have an a blur filter and have high optical quality.
Intentionaly introducing blur and optical quality are not compatible
notions. Granted, blur is the lesser of two evils--vice having color
moire rampant in any area of detail.

"Lesser of two evils" is hardly an endorsement for using mosiacs to
keep a camera's optics super cheap.

From: C Wright on
On 6/5/05 2:12 PM, in article
1117998769.068229.129430(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
"george_preddy(a)yahoo.com" <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> C Wright wrote:
>> On 5/30/05 3:42 PM, in article
>> 1117485741.612985.156090(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
>> "george_preddy(a)yahoo.com" <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My point stands. Digital sharpening ruins images because it plows
>>> through every pixel blindly, instead of leaving sharpness/blur to
>>> optics. That is why film lovers hate digital, the result is flat and
>>> lifeless, often even inverted.
>>>
>>> If you sharpnen digitally, you are simply exceeding the capabilites of
>>> your camera at the expense of quality. The only proper way to handle
>>> digital images that are breaking down is to print them at the size they
>>> were intended. There are no acceptable algorithmic crutches that can
>>> substitute for sensor count.
>>>
>> George (if that is your name) you are a piece of work! Any digital
>> sharpening that I have done does not plow through every pixel blindly.
>> Sharpening that I am familiar with is adjustable according to threshold,
>> radius and degree or amount.
>
> That has nothing to do with lens optics that should produce blur in
> some places and sharpness in others.

George or Molly or whoever the hell you are, what the hell does your answer,
immediately above, have to do with my response to your assertions?? You
made a simplistic untrue statement about digital sharpening and I responded.
Then you, in turn, reply with some blather about lens optics! The issue was
digital sharpening on a computer and had absolutely nothing to do with lens
optics.

>> Millions of images taken by thousands of
>> digital photographers, and sharpened digitally, disprove your assertion that
>> they are all exceeding the capabilities of their cameras at the expense of
>> quality.
>
> No it doesn't. Digital has a very bad reputation among no-comprimise
> photographers, because the overwhelming majority of people who use
> digital don't understand that their Bayers take 3 very small RGB
> exposures, then combine them while upscaling by 400%. The upscaling
> makes the pics blurry and flat. Artifically sharpening from top to
> bottom, without regard to optics may make some of the edges arbitrarily
> sharper, but flattens the overall image even more, or may even
> perceptually invert parts of it.
>
> It is no coincidence digital is criticized by serious photographers and
> clients--even if they don't understand why, they know a flat, lifeless,
> low resolution image when the see it.

The very few "no compromise" photographers out there who continue to choose
film over digital don't use Foveon sensors either. For you to try to make
that an argument against Bayers is ridiculous. Again, I stand by my
statement that millions of published digital images (taken by photographers
using Bayer sensors) disprove your assertion that they are all exceeding the
capabilities of their cameras at the expense of quality.

From: Paul Furman on
george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> A camera can't have an a blur filter and have high optical quality.

err uh hmm OK ???

"an a blur??? Hmmm???

So the Foveon has no antialiasing filter? A s I understand, antialiasing
has nothing to do with this issue, it has to do with the resolution of
the camera matching the resolution of a geotric pattern and a foveon
would be just as susceptible to that effect as any 3.4MP sensor.

Please clarify.

From: george_preddy on

Paul Furman wrote:
> george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > A camera can't have an a blur filter and have high optical quality.
>
> err uh hmm OK ???
>
> "an a blur??? Hmmm???
>
> So the Foveon has no antialiasing filter? A s I understand, antialiasing
> has nothing to do with this issue, it has to do with the resolution of
> the camera matching the resolution of a geotric pattern and a foveon
> would be just as susceptible to that effect as any 3.4MP sensor.
>
> Please clarify.

You understand wrong. An AA filter (a very simple blurring filter) is
required by Bayers, but not by any camera with full color photosites
like Foveon or 3-CCD/CMOS.

Why? If you don't blur fine detail over many individual sensors with a
Bayer, you'll get little rainbows in any area of fine detail because
the sensors are monochrome and therfore can only sense one color per
location.

So any pixel-level detail appears in an essentially random color, just
depending on whatever color sensor it happened to land upon. Assuming
that sensor's color filter didn't block the feature entirely. The blur
filter ensures that any pixel-level detail is blurred over many pixels,
so the color can be better determined. The tradeoff is intentional
image blur.

The now out of production Kodak 14n actually blurred the fine detail
with a digital blur filter instead of an optical one, interestingly.
It didn't work well at all...
http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/kodakslrc_samples/originals/f6fm1074-raw-acr.jpg

Because of the blur filter, one can rightly think of a Bayer sensor as
a full color sensor, where each full color pixel is actually a block of
4 sensors (RGGB) with the blur filter ensuring no fine detail smaller
than that total area is allowed to pass. Same thing I said earlier,
the actual color resolution is advertised MPs/4.

From: george_preddy on

Tetractys wrote:
> George Preddy wrote:
>
> > In general, if you are sharpening at all then
> > you are oversharpening.
>
> This is an untrue statement. Sharpening is part
> of any proper digital workflow. Look here:
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/process.shtml

Only Bayer workflow needs artificial sharpening. That is one of
several reasons why "digital" (read: Bayer) images are always paper
flat.