From: Bill Funk on
On 19 Jun 2005 05:51:16 -0700, george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>JPS(a)no.komm wrote:
>> In message <1118723676.491758.184380(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>> george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> >13.72MP isn't that common. The Sigmas output 4536 x 3024 pixels images.
>>
>> The Sigma software does; the camera images are only 3.43MP.
>
>Canon's software records 8M pixels from only 2M full color samples,
>assembled from purely monochrome photosites. My 1DMkII is a 2MP camera
>by Sigma full color optical standard. The SD9 is a 13.72MP camera from
>Canon's monochrome interpolated standard.

So what?
Sigma claims the SDx are 10.3MP cameras; what do they know?
Trying to redefine industry-wide standards to meet the desires of
Sigma/Foveon is your best trick, but it's all smoke. Not even mirrors,
just smoke.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
From: Bart van der Wolf on

<george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> Did you fall for your scanners advertised INTERPOLATED
> resolution too?
> Savvy digital users know better than to think interpolated
> = optical resolutions. You are a Bayer maker's dream
> customer.

Scanners don't use Bayer CFA sensors. Most desktop models use
tri-linear sensor arrays, sometimes in a staggered layout (double
lines per color but with half a pixel offset).

Bart

From: Keith Jewell on
(this is to Preddy, but for some reason quoting isn't working at the
moment)

I know you're a troll ... and you were trolling here about this years
ago. But I really want to know:

Do you just not get the difference between luma and chroma resolution?

The Canon 20D has 8M of luma resolution, and 2M or 4M of chroma
resolution depending on the color.

The Foveon has 3.4M of luma resolution, and 3.4M of chroma resolution,
the same per color.

This really is simple. Are you intentionally unable to grasp this?

-Keith

From: george_preddy on

grant kinsley wrote:
> >Pixel count is meaningless, Bayers upscales all images at least 400%.
> >Fujis by 800%.
>
> No, pixel count isn't meaningless, otherwise you wouldn't lie about it
> all the time.

Interpolated pixel counts are completely meaningless. Bayers could
easily advertise 800% upscaled recorded pixel counts instead of only
400%. In fact, Fuji does do that with the "12MP" S2 "Pro" which only
gathers 1.5MP of optical full color data.

> upscaling and interpolating are not the same thing. There are 8MP of
> data in a 20D image. It is interpolated to produce a full colour
> image, but there are 8MP of distinct data.
> >
> >> I don't think there are any current DSLRs that go down as low as the
> >> Sigmas in pixel count, so your statement is ratehr meaningless
> >
> >13.72MP isn't that common. The Sigmas output 4536 x 3024 pixels images.
>
> No a Sigma is 3.43 MP

The SD9 is a 1,000,000MP camera when interpolated to 1,000,000MPs
recorded--and the Adobe X3F converter will record any MPs you tell it
to, all within a single RAW conversion routine.

Bayers' advertising only interpolated MPs is strictly aimed at a
customer base that large doesn't understand anything about digital.
Scanner makers tried the same ripoff scam years ago--advertising
interpolated resultions instead of optical, but their more computer
savvy customer base clobbered them for it instantly--now they know
better.

Photographers, as a rule, are artists who don't understand digital so
they continue to actually enjoy being ripped off--the higher the
interpolation degree the more they want the camera. "Give us more and
more interpolation", they collectively shout. The DSLR manufacturers,
and particularly Fuji, love it--they are taking candy from babies by
the boat load.

From: george_preddy on

KennyJr wrote:
> It seems there aren't any pros out there then, at least none that I've
> seen. I have yet to see a SD9 or SD10 picture with decent color.

Try looking at one.