From: JPS on
In message <1119817411.496804.182600(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com wrote:

>KennyJr wrote:
>> In article <1119712736.084304.159520(a)g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com says...
>> > I did the same thing today and I was extrememly impressed. Such high
>> > quality reproduction! Digital photography isn't considered ready for
>> > prime time by most, if not all photography afficionados, but I doubt
>> > many of them have seen what Foveon has to offer or realize how
>> > differently their digital technology has developed.
>> >

>> Your easily impressed. Please post some links to these great
>> Sigma/Foveon images.
>
>Here is an SD-10 picture with unbelievable dynamic range.
>http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/image/25617798/original

Well, actually, you can't *see* the dynamic range as presented; dark
shadows can be noisy and/or posterized; it's not until you boos the
shadows that you see what lurks there. Luminance-wise, I agree, the
dynamic range is excellent here, and the deepest shadows (when boosted
in software) are posterized (as is the case with all 12-bit capture) but
almost noiseless.

The problem is, the green and blue levels in the shadow rocks vary, in
large clumps, so the color is a bit off. If the shadows were of
blue/green subjects, they would be much worse.

Great greyscale dynamic range, though, for 12-bit capture.

>There is nothing
>harder to capture than intense sunshine illuminating bright white snow
>next to deep dark shadows.

Well, actually, the snow is blown (255,255,255) in many areas.

>The camera perfectly exposed the details in
>both conditions inthe same image. It could be a trick photo, I guess.

The snow is blown in many areas. The bright snow areas just happen to
be thin, so you don't see large expanses without detail. *that* is the
trick.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS(a)no.komm>
From: jennifer.wilson2 on

KennyJr wrote:
> In article <1119817411.496804.182600(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com says...
> >

> > KennyJr wrote:
> > > In article <1119712736.084304.159520(a)g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > > jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com says...
> > > >

> > > Your easily impressed. Please post some links to these great
> > > Sigma/Foveon images.
> >
> > Here is an SD-10 picture with unbelievable dynamic range.
> > http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/image/25617798/original There is nothing
> > harder to capture than intense sunshine illuminating bright white snow
> > next to deep dark shadows. The camera perfectly exposed the details in
> > both conditions inthe same image. It could be a trick photo, I guess.
> >

> I wouldn't consider that an example of good dynamic range. Most of the
> image is under exposed.

It depends. If you compare to film maybe not. However, all digital
cameras are famous for bad dynamic range. Until Foveon cameras,
apparently.

> > > Amazing how much better the pictures from the
> > > under $200 A510 compared to the $1200 SD10.
> >
> > Pbase's web site let me search by camera. I couldn't find a gallery
> > with original size A510 images but this one shows the difference in
> > dynamic range. More than enough to expose your bad comparision. Few
> > details here and noise in shadow
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/41018560
> >

> This definitely isn't an original image. Every image from an A510
> includes EXIF data of which this file doesn't have. There is no telling
> what was done to this image aside from being resized, but one thing is
> sure, it isn't an image directly from the camera.

I said that. The down sizing should improve pixel quality per capita.
The only reasonable conclusion is this camera is not in the same
quality plane.

From: jennifer.wilson2 on
Frank ess wrote:
> I am a confirmed Preddy-and-his-issues ignorer, but here I backslide.
>
> Such a blatant broadcast of fecal-derived matter as follows "I did the
> same ... " must be challenged. Jennifer.Wilson2 is a pitiful, pathetic
> grasping-at-straws as the maelstrom sucks Sigma and George into
> oblivion.
>
> If I were Sigma, or even a stockholder, I'd petition the Court for a
> Cease and Desist order against GP and his socks, as they are
> detrimental to the welfare and progress of an otherwise worthwhile
> entity.

Do you usually have a problem satisfying women?

From: Ken Tough on
JPS(a)no.komm wrote:

>The problem is, the green and blue levels in the shadow rocks vary, in
>large clumps, so the color is a bit off. If the shadows were of
>blue/green subjects, they would be much worse.

The objective tests at dpreview show that at high ISO the SD10 loses
saturation and hue accuracy. I suppose this shows up as performance
in the shadows too.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/page13.asp

--
Ken Tough
From: KennyJr on
In article <1119844225.127601.65360(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com says...
> > I wouldn't consider that an example of good dynamic range. Most of the
> > image is under exposed.
>
> It depends. If you compare to film maybe not. However, all digital
> cameras are famous for bad dynamic range. Until Foveon cameras,
> apparently.

I should have been more specific and I thought of that after I got
offline. Yes, I comparing this image to my days of 35mm cameras. I
haven't see ANY digital camera with great dynamic range this INCLUDES
the Sigma.

> > > Pbase's web site let me search by camera. I couldn't find a gallery
> > > with original size A510 images but this one shows the difference in
> > > dynamic range. More than enough to expose your bad comparision. Few
> > > details here and noise in shadow
> > > http://www.pbase.com/image/41018560
> > >

> > This definitely isn't an original image. Every image from an A510
> > includes EXIF data of which this file doesn't have. There is no telling
> > what was done to this image aside from being resized, but one thing is
> > sure, it isn't an image directly from the camera.
>
> I said that. The down sizing should improve pixel quality per capita.
> The only reasonable conclusion is this camera is not in the same
> quality plane.

The photographer did more than downsize this image. I've taken hundreds
of shots with my wife's A510 and have never seen a shot anywhere near as
bad as this one. This isn't an example of a bad camera, it's an exapmle
of either poor editing or a poor photographer.