From: Skip M on
<jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com> wrote in message

> Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> It was already clear that you don't understand the difference between
>> monochrome (single color), and spectral band. Each sensel is natively
>> sensitive to a spectrum of roughly 350 to 1000 nm, and filters
>> restrict that to 3 (sometimes 4) slightly overlapping spectral bands.
>

> George is right, Bayers sensors use monochrome devices. Monochrome is
> not "one color" as you like to say.
>
> Monochrome means grayscale, or no color data, only levels of
> brightness. Bayer sensors all use monochrome devices that cannot read
> color data.

Monochrome does not mean greyscale, greyscale means greyscale. Monochrome
means one color, whether it be red, blue, green, cyan, magenta, yellow, or
shades of grey. Thus, Bayer sensors are monochrome, since they only sense
one color on each pixel.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

From: Frank ess on
jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com wrote:
> KennyJr wrote:
>> I've spent the last several days reading up on the foveon image
>> sensor and I've got to say that I like the idea. One pixel site
>> reading all three colors. It's a good idea with a lot of promise.
>>
>> I've also spent the last several days looking at pictures from
>> Sigma
>> SD9 and SD10 cameras. So far I haven't been impressed.
>
> I did the same thing today and I was extrememly impressed. Such
> high
> quality reproduction! Digital photography isn't considered ready
> for
> prime time by most, if not all photography afficionados, but I doubt
> many of them have seen what Foveon has to offer or realize how
> differently their digital technology has developed.

I am a confirmed Preddy-and-his-issues ignorer, but here I backslide.

Such a blatant broadcast of fecal-derived matter as follows "I did the
same ... " must be challenged. Jennifer.Wilson2 is a pitiful, pathetic
grasping-at-straws as the maelstrom sucks Sigma and George into
oblivion.

If I were Sigma, or even a stockholder, I'd petition the Court for a
Cease and Desist order against GP and his socks, as they are
detrimental to the welfare and progress of an otherwise worthwhile
entity.

--
Frank S

"Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten-up a chump."
-William Claude Dukenfeld

From: Bill Funk on
On 25 Jun 2005 08:18:56 -0700, jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com wrote:

>KennyJr wrote:
>> I've spent the last several days reading up on the foveon image sensor
>> and I've got to say that I like the idea. One pixel site reading all
>> three colors. It's a good idea with a lot of promise.
>>
>> I've also spent the last several days looking at pictures from Sigma SD9
>> and SD10 cameras. So far I haven't been impressed.
>
>I did the same thing today and I was extrememly impressed. Such high
>quality reproduction! Digital photography isn't considered ready for
>prime time by most, if not all photography afficionados, but I doubt
>many of them have seen what Foveon has to offer or realize how
>differently their digital technology has developed.

Right.
Canon and Nikon and all the other digital camera manufacturers are
buying their own products to make it look like sales are great, then
just dumping the product in the ocean because no one will use them.
And Sports Illustrated lies.
And Canon just offered me $950US for my Digital Rebel/300D, because
B&H screwed up and sold it to me.

Where do you come up with this stuff?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
From: Bill Funk on
On 25 Jun 2005 08:30:39 -0700, jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com wrote:

>Stacey wrote:
>> C Wright wrote:
>>
>> > Many, many images benefit from sharpening and to say
>> > that "In general, if you are sharpening at all then your are
>> > oversharpening." is just plain wrong! As far as the rest of your
>> > statement about sharpening tending to tending to "flatten" or "invert the
>> > 3D nature" of an image - huh!
>>

>> Ditto, george is clueless once again about anything related to photography,
>> nice post..
>
>Stacey, as a woman I'm sure you can see the disadvantages George is
>talking about. He is right that digital sharpening cannot be equated
>to sharp lens optics and sharp camera sensors. Digital Photoshop
>actions are blind to the scene.

".. as a woman..."??!!
Your credibility is running away from you.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
From: Bill Funk on
On 25 Jun 2005 08:37:07 -0700, jennifer.wilson2(a)lycos.com wrote:

>Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> It was already clear that you don't understand the difference between
>> monochrome (single color), and spectral band. Each sensel is natively
>> sensitive to a spectrum of roughly 350 to 1000 nm, and filters
>> restrict that to 3 (sometimes 4) slightly overlapping spectral bands.
>

>George is right, Bayers sensors use monochrome devices. Monochrome is
>not "one color" as you like to say.
>
>Monochrome means grayscale, or no color data, only levels of
>brightness. Bayer sensors all use monochrome devices that cannot read
>color data.

Hint:
So are Foveon sensors. The color data is added later, depending on
which sensor data is being looked at.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"